Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$2 bill rescued

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
7545 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2011  8:13 pm Show Profile Check rggoodie's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rggoodie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was in a fast food restaurant yesterday and the customer before me handed the cashier a two dollar bill.

You would have thought some one was robbing the place.
They brought out two managers to look at it before they finally after some discussion agreed to accept it.

I placed my my order then when the manager walked by I offered to relieve them of the two dollar bill.

You would have thought they won the lottery.
I gave them two one dollar bills and they gave me the two dollar bill plus my order which totaled two dollars and ten cents
for Free

I love uneducated retailers

Pillar of the Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2011  8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now, what did I do with all those $2's? Getting hungry, and it is Sat nite!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2011  07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An exact same thing happened to a friend on mine earlier this week here in SE CT.

In order to educate the masses (young ones) she has a strap of chcu $2's that she is going to go shopping with this weekend.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2011  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A while back we had a similar thread here where we were discussing various public v the two dollar note.
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=71391

Thought I would dig it up if you enjoy reading about the ignorant public's responses to the $2. I personally like the way people react to it as it is never boring. I do however still boycott Radio Shack at the mall that refused to accept them forcing me to shop elsewhere. I wonder how much money they have lost from just me alone by turning me away? I used to shop there on a semi-regular basis for personal and work related things. You can blame management at these locations that do stupid things like this for not taking the 5 minutes required to educate their employees.
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2011  11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Madmartigan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before my friendly teller gal moved out of my city I use to get $2 bills and the gold coins from her all the time. Would then use them for tips, lunch, etc. A large number of times the worker would be "is this real?" and I'm like yep. I did have one waitress track me down as I was leaving the place after dinner to ask me if I had any more $1 coins. She was impressed with them and loved the different presidents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love to mess with cashiers with $2 bills. I went to my local coin shop and all the cash I had for 1976 42 bills just to spend and confuse people. Doesn't take much to make me laugh :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1083 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I worked as a Detective we had a rather unusual call one day. Normally they would not have called us but we were having lunch next door and the responding officer did not know what to do. You see a man ordered a meal, ate it, and then when presented with the check he tendered enough $2 bills to cover the amount presented. Management at that Restaurant refused to accept the money; at which point the customer attempted to exit the restaurant. The Manager and another employee detained the Customer and called the Police.

The officer was not sure how to handle this as he was not sure that a law had been broken.

I was fairly sure the Customer was in the right, but just to make sure I contacted an Assistant District Attorney. She ordered me to let the man go immediately. You see if service has been rendered and legal tender offered and subsequently refused by the service provider/merchant; then the service provider/merchant has no recourse against the Customer. Barring signage against large bills, which are a potential public safety issue. The safety issue in those cases are the holding of sufficient cash to make change.

We also had a case where a person purchased exactly $50 in Fuel from a Gas Station with a sign that said "we do not accept bills larger than $20". The person submitted a $50 bill to cover the $50 dollar debt. When it was refused the person drove off. The Police were called and, using a description and plate number, made an arrest. What should have been a simple ticket citation and release on own recognizance turned into a trip downtown. The SGT on duty threw this in my lap. I released the person on the spot, and then called the DA's office. They informed me that status of the signage is a real legal grey area. Its purpose is to deter theft, by limiting the amount of change. Therefore cash tendered for the amount of purchase is not in violation of that signage. Refusal to accept legal tender for reasons other than public safety are generally not allowed. Note that anyone can refuse legal tender. It is just that the law does not allow any legal recourse by the entity refusing legal tender.

And please, don't try that! I am NOT a lawyer. It is just what the ADA told me 18 years ago. I just thought it interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a person purchased exactly $50 in Fuel from a Gas Station with a sign that said "we do not accept bills larger than $20". The person submitted a $50 bill to cover the $50 dollar debt. When it was refused the person drove off.

One of the things I stress to my employees is common sense, yes I know in reality there is no such thing, but I still try. I would (figuratively) kick my employee in the [fill in the blank] if they had done something like that. I took a $100 bill to a gas station about a month ago that doesn't accept large bills and explained to the cashier that I was filling up and my truck would take at least $80 or more (unfortunately) so they accepted it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05