Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

2000 Virginia Quarter Error

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
kyzil
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  11:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kyzil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across a 2000 Virginia state quarter today with some odd features. The front seems to be standard, but the edge of the quarter is raised several times higher than normal (I would guess somewhere around 0.03").

The side of the quarter lacks any ridges and the bare copper is mostly seen with only a thin layer of zinc at the front edge.

The rear of the coin is very odd. What I thought originally was just abnormal wear on this surface, I now think was fabrication error. Around 60% of this surface is obscured and smooth with only the central portion of the ships visible. Virginia is barely legible at the top and the bottom portion is completely obscured. There are two burrs on this surface. One looks like a loose chip of zinc (or other silver metal) embedded into the face just to the left of the upper-left tip of the sail of the left-most ship. The other looks like a peeling edge of an additional thin layer of zinc on the surface just to the left of the V in Virginia.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is an interesting find or not. Any comments would be welcome.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2011  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was abused outside the Mint. The exposure of the copper core around the reverse perimeter is one clear sign, as is the flattened, mushy design.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Edited by mikediamond
08/17/2011 11:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2011  08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add schockergd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dryer quarter?
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2011  10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First to CCF and second I think it is Post mint damage
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4107 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2011  1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, just PMD like the posters above said.
"A poor Roman plays the Goth, a rich Goth the Roman." - Theodoric, King of the Ostrogoths

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 224, Byzantine: 21, Post-Roman Germanic: 17

Affordable ancient coins on sale! Now reduced!
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2011  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RollSeeker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although this doesn't seem to match any error I know of and also looks similar to some PMD, I would keep it because it looks possible that some of the damage occurred within the mint, making it an error. I'd probably pay a bit more than face value just to see it closer up and determine for sure!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8671 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2011  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would keep it because it looks possible that some of the damage occurred within the mint, making it an error.

If the damage occurred after the coin was struck, whether it happened inside the mint or outside doesn't matter. It is still just damage.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2011  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fratzj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was damaged post mint how do you explain the good condition of the obverse with the raised edge along with the flattened appearance or the reverse? Wouldn't the damage to the back have had to be done with the front stuck to the die? Otherwise wouldn't both sides would be flattened?
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2011  5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BJ Neff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For all who are interested. The thinking on the terms "post strike damage" and "post mint damage" has evolved a bit. A better term that does cover damage to the coin that is not associated with the strike and also the milling (for the dollar coins that have lettering and numerals on the edge) is "post production damage".

I know, confusing.

BJ Neff
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add randy0050 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the raised rim on odv raises a flag to me.. its in good condition otherwise.then the rev is completly damaged. I cant imagine how this happened
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3556 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  09:42 am  Show Profile Check Indian1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty odd I have to say.
Any chance a problem at the upset stage with this one
then struck out of collar ? Or one or the other then PMD
added ?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is strange and I have no idea how the rim was raised without ruining both the obverse and reverse but I have to say PMD
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like somebody machined the back of the coin to fit it in a button or something. I've never seen a piece of jewelry or with a modern quarter in it though.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11074 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2011  11:08 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is largely irrelevant how it happened. Unless you can find the culprit, that would be an impossible question to answer definitively. However, there is ZERO doubt that this did not happen at the Mint, it is simply a damaged coin and nothing more.

Quote:
If it was damaged post mint how do you explain the good condition of the obverse with the raised edge along with the flattened appearance or the reverse?

The extreme raised edge is a primary indicator of damage, that is certainly not a normal rim.

Quote:
Wouldn't the damage to the back have had to be done with the front stuck to the die?

The copper core is exposed so metal has been removed from this coin. There is no mechanism for the physical removal of metal during the striking process.
ANA R-3151318
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05