Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

what does "Cu, layered in 24K gold" really mean?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  11:49 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jbkay to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I see those Franklin Mint type companies as junk coins, but now have to do some estate work. So here's a Presidential coin they charged $40. for and I can't understand to COA

Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It means it is worth a heck of a lot less then $40.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbkay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, really, I have to prove it's crap.....I need a real definition
Pillar of the Community
United States
1094 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It means it is a copper round with a thin layer of gold.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11111 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  12:29 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cu= copper, covered with a thin(read:worthless) electroplating of gold
ANA R-3151318
Learn More...
United States
16832 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  12:51 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind, gold is about the most malleable metal there is. I've done some gold leaf work; the gold leaf I worked with was so thin, so fine, that the only way to handle it was with the very finest, softest camel-hair brushes. You cannot pick the stuff up with your fingers; it shreds. Even today, with gold at $1800, the "standard" booklet of just over 1-1/2sq.ft. of gold leaf is only about $35. I paid about $10 each for them back when I was doing it.

You can easily cover 100 square feet with one ounce of gold.

And when you're electroplating, one molecule at a time, the amount of gold needed to cover a coin is infinitesimal. It would require the most advanced of measuring equipment to weigh it. They probably only needed that one ounce of gold to plate the entire mintage.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What it means is that "coin" is worth whatever its weight in copper.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2444 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shop around on eBay and see if any are for sale. That might give you an idea about its value. Just because the metal isn't worth much doesn't mean that the coin is worthless. People used to spend all kinds of money on beanie babies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2444 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2011  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I was curious so I went shopping for you. I found a bunch of Franklin Mint stuff for sale -- you'll have to go and check for your specific round. Some complete sets are silver and pricey but most of the items for sale were single coins for $5.95.
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those coins are advertised as being clad in 10 milligrams of 24 karat gold like it is a real investment. If I remember correctly that is less than $2 worth of gold.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$0.58 of gold with gold at $1800/toz to be exact.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12767 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2011  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Franklin Mint and many others just love to make those statements. Most people have no idea just how little Gold is on one of their products. They hear that advertisement of GOLD and think it's worth a fortune. Just smart, not true, advertising.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
507 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like gold-plated garbage designed to sell to the ignorant and easily duped.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5014 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  06:32 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its silver plated copper.
A while back ppl that got caught for this were hung for coining.
They should bring that back in
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5014 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  06:36 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry gold plated copper.
But I still think the jerks should be hung from the gibbet
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
COA = certifying the "coin" is authentic junk. :P
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05