Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 DDO Mercury Dime (could this be a new variety?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  1:38 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Check the date and designer's initials.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11114 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  2:24 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CONECA lists four 1936 DDOs and David Lange's book mentions the existence of "no less than eight" which are further described in the Wexler/Flynn reference. The CPG also lists one but it is the strongest for the date and does not match. Whether yours matches any of the other seven 1936 DDOs, I have no idea, but at least it is a starting point for you.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  3:41 pm  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like machine doubling or die deterioration to me.
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rachums. The coin is a DDO. I think it is either die 1 with a deteriorated die, or a undiscovered type VI. I'm starting to lean toward die 1, but I'n not convinced. Here is a known die 1 coin.

Edited by arsave
09/05/2011 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9596 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2598 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2011  6:21 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see something in the 3 of the date and TR in the word trust, but the rest can be at a later die stage.

This is one of those tough one to picture it, perhaps even lighting would help.
Valued Member
United States
278 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Check asimpson91's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add asimpson91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i see doubling on 1 and 3 nice find
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arsave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really should send this off for attribution and see what CONECA has to say.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5079 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  02:10 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a DDO and not just MD. Looks good to me! As to which die # ? Got me, CONECA would be a good place to search out info on it.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05