Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver prices 10 years from now.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
143 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  5:32 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add IC Double to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was wondering what everyone thinks silver will do 10 years from now. I have a bunch of scrap silver wondering to hold or sell. Im going to sell a portion of it to get my money back on what I spent on it but should I keep the rest or sell?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3563 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  5:40 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You mention scrap silver and 10 years of possible holding. First in what form is your silver? Coins, Bars, silverware, jewelry, candlesticks or what? Selling a portion to get your investment back I probably would do and then hold the rest. Depending on what the silver is made into I may try to reduce it to a bullion or coin form for easy liquidation if needed in the future.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IC Double to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The silver I mention is jewelry mostly neckalces and so on. I do have a few Canadian coins Im thinking of selling too due to it being previously cleaned and now look black. When it comes to silver I like the glow it gives.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IowaHawkeye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I wish I knew! If I did, I'd make some money.

I'd guess we are near a top now driven by speculation. May drop a bit in the next few years.

Now, talking out out of both sides of my mouth, I'd say the long term trend (10 year) will be up, driven by a weakening dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TBH, I would take all the scrap you have, sell it and move into Bullion grade Silver. You might take a small perceived hit in value now, but when you go to sell later you'll a much easier time.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LastGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe silver will be $300 an ounce 10 years from now... gold should be about $5000 per oz by then.

From the people on this forum, you might think everyone (and their grandmother), is hot on PM's right now...

But the real bull market is just beginning...

OK - now I've teed it up for Joe...

Come in Joe, are you there JOE?

Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2011  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe is probably lounging at one of his friend's oceanfront South Beach properties sipping on fine wine and eating little sandwiches. They are all having a laugh at all of us who were stupid enough to not sell our PM's at half price while we had the chance to do it stealthily. Now it would be far too obvious.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mmerlinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The intrinsic value of silver will be the same as it is now.

The value measured by rubber yardsticks (fiat money) will change depending which rubber yardstick (currency) you use and on how much of it is printed.

And you are assuming that the dollar will still exist in 30 years. With what is now in the pipeline, the dollar as we know it will not exist in 30 years.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$100 in today's dollars.

If you have all sorts of weird silver that you plan to hold, get converted to 90-999 so that when you are given a selling opportunity, you only have one factor to deal with.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  04:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry, Joe will be out and about with the same message when the next healthy correction in PM value rolls around.

+1 on mmerlinn's view. PM's will likely hold their intrinsic value decades from now regardless of value of the currency used to measure it. I do expect the gold/silver gap to be close a bit more though, as we slowly but surely run out of mine-able pools of silver.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  04:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Come in Joe, are you there JOE?

Joe posted a day or two ago. Click his link.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IC Double to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I didnt know if silver would hit around 100 or not 10 yrs from now. 10 years ago silver was around 17 dollars an ounce and gold was around 8-900 an ounce. I personally think silver will be around 75-100 an ounce 10 yrs from now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, 10 years ago, silver was about $4.80 and gold was a smidge under $400.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Actually, 10 years ago, silver was about $4.80 and gold was a smidge under $400.

So, in effect, what we have is about a 850% rise in the price of silver and 460% rise in the price of gold. Hmmm... if that were to occur again, and it may or may not, but if it did, we would have... about $350 silver and $8500 gold. Nah... never happen!

As other have pointed out, there are so many variables in this that are completely unknown at this time that any such guess at future prices is just that... a WAG.

My guess is that in 10 years, silver will be somewhere between somewhat and a lot higher than it is today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1064 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JackB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My guess is that in 10 years, silver will be somewhere between somewhat and a lot higher than it is today
Good WAG Ed, as usual you've shown your business acumen, tinged with vast experience!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9679 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2011  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect silver has peaked. If PMs keep climbing for 10 years, you can kiss any economic recovery goodbye--because that's where the Wall St. money will be parked. Your holdings might convince you it's going up, but only if the big holders of PMs can't make money elsewhere.
Edited by DVCollector
09/12/2011 9:38 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05