Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying an Asian Coin with Square Hole in Center

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2011  6:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jblack0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I need help identifying a coin I found in my grandmother's collection. My internet search identified it as an "Asian/Chinese" coin, but there are so many variations and the oriental characters are so difficult to match, I didn't get very far.

I would like to know if it is "real" or a copy. And if it has any value. I have included two pics (front and back)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2011  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed Chinese, from the reign of the Dao Guang emperor (spelled "Tao-kuang" in the catalogues, 1820-1850), cast by the Board of Revenue mint, Beijing. The top pic is upside-down.

It appears genuine to me, though is very roughly finished, with much of the casting sprue remaining on the rim.

As with most cash coins from the Revenue mint, this coin is extremely common - 50 cents to $1, identified.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2011  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KenRingold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the denomination?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2011  10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jblack0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your quick reply...really appreciate it.
Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2011  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is known as a "cash" in English - qian or ch'ien in Chinese. Since large multiple-cash coins were occasionally made, this could be further qualified as a "1 cash". Monetarily, it is also known in Chinese as a "wen", from which were derived the names for similar coins made in Korea (won), Japan (mon or mun) and Vietnam (van or phan).
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MikeD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured it might be best to add onto this thread... as I have almost the exact same situation, and a darn similar coin.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/674/coinf.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2333/coin2.jpg

I saw a great response above, and was hoping I could get some of the same great answers!

Thanks guys!

P.S., on a side note... my grandma had a huge jar full of old pennies... many wheat stock pennies... I grabbed the only steel penny I saw... and it's 1943... But I would not be surprised if there was some big dollar pennies in there after seeing a list of the prices... lol, back then I didn't know a 'copper' penny could be worth so much.
Learn More...
Australia
11175 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome.

Your coin is not quite as old as the one posted earlier. It's machine-struck, from the province of Kwangtung. This type was struck 1890-1908. Very common, proabbly about the same price as the previous one.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BenHalfRocks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I just found a coin in my "don't know" pile that matches Mike D's photos, the symbols look exactly the same. The center has the square lines, but the hole is circle. Does that mean anything?
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MikeD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sap! That makes perfect sense, as my great grandfather was roaming asian countries in the navy during that time frame.. My grandma had a bunch of trinkets and furniture from that period as well.
If I'd only known to look for different pennies, I'd probably be rich! hahaha
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1253 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  3:17 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/index.html

the best site I have found for ID'ing chinese coins
Valued Member
Australia
352 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2012  9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The writing is not symbols, but words. The top and bottom character is the Emperors names and the two on the sode are tong at the right and bao at the left. And the chinese refered to is Mandarin.
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2012  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Chinese is read top-bottom-right-left, and is characters. Mandarin is a spoken Chinese language.(Dao Guang is a Mandarin transliteration, Tao Kuang is the older Wade-Gyles transliteration, but both mean the same thing.) The language on the reverse is Manchu,(transliterated as Boo Ciowan) read left-right.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05