Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cub Scouts Pack Meeting

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the really old coins, I was fascinated with coins that were more than 50 years old when I was a child. You may also want to include some coins they can find in circulation such as the state quarters or even the newer presidential dollars.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have a bi-annual state show which has a kid auction using a fake credit line of $300 given to each child. There are kids from toddlers to young collectors who bid on a slew of donated items ranging from items of little or no value (planchets, etc...) to reasonably valuable items (slabbed dollars, etc...).

The kids love bidding and regardless of their coup, they seem to get a lot of satisfaction from being the winner and receiving their prize. My son who has been involved bids like a drunken sailor immediately from the beginning until he's spent the entire allocation of credit. Others get some coaching to be patient and pursue the more valuable stuff, but the little ones tend to like the shine and shear quantity of packaged lots regardless of value.

It's a lot of fun and the kids get to walk away with some loot while getting exposed to the hobby. As I recall, they have a few intermittant trivia questions which the youngsters can win coin related prizes as well.

If you got a few donations from a number of folks, you could put together a pretty nice event. I guarantee the kids would have a blast and a few might walk away form the experience with a real interest in the hobby.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come to think it, a more meaningful event might be having an informative type presentation with the young scouts able to view various different coins (donations). Then to their surprise, conduct an auction for the coins reviewed and let them go home with a few spoils from their bidding.

Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction idea is fantastic. I also love the idea to contact suppliers and dealers.

Thanks guys. These ideas are great. Please, please keep them coming.

Also, the PMs I've gotten with offers of donations are unexpected and extremely generous. I can't thank you guys (and gals) enough. You've really made my day, and you're going to really make this meeting a success. Thank you all so much.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  11:02 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think kids love the junk foreign coins that most local dealers have in their bargain bin. They usually have large cents (Canadian or British) that can be up to 100 years old or more for 2 or 3 cents apiece... or unusual foreign coins -- shaped like squares or have holes in the center or have cute animals/ships/whatever on them.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SJUH

If I knew how to PM you, I have some coins you could have for the event. Get back to me with a little help with that and I'll get a package in the mail.

MW
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SJUH,
fyi... US Mint made a 2010 BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA CENTENNIAL SILVER DOLLAR.

Edited by Penny4Me
02/25/2012 9:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tornandfrayed75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Visit the you s mint website. They have a education section and also offer free educational supplies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  01:24 am  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SJU,

I found a Boy Scout-orientated URL on the ANA website that may interest you and your guys.

It has some interesting pointers for anyone preparing to collect coins towards the goal of earning Coin Collecting merit badge:

http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cf...ntentID=4463

Let us all know how your event turned out in terms of what you decided to do etc.

mdpmedia
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll help out how I can. Send me a message.

Otherwise, I have one idea (dont know if it's a good idea or not).

Educate them on the classic coins in the standard denominations.
IHC, Wheat, Buffalo, Mercurys, <65 quarters, Franklins, etc.

Instruct them to keep their eyes out for older coins (actually "hunt" for them).

Each time they find one, they submit it to you for cataloging and storage in the Pack's Collection.

Label each coin's value.

You could establish a goal, merits, a game, or competition.

I think this engages them in a more active way.

Jim (two merit badges short of Eagle Scout -- boo hoo -- I was too chicken back then to publicly speak for the last two merit badges)

Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any progress on ideas?
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, PM sent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SJUHawks-Got a package for the scouts packed tonight, should go in the mail tomorrow. Have fun! MAILED 3-9-12.
Edited by jprine
03/09/2012 2:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have enough coin folders, like one for each scout, maybe ask the scouts to bring a few rolls of cents each to the meeting to search through them to fill up the folders?
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jprine!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05