Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do any other other Aussies collect US and Canadian coins?

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
100 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add In2Fish2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect all the world coins and notes I can get my hands on, as well as stamps. And BTW, my Albino Bristle nose catfish have just hatched so I've got fry swimming all over my tank....
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not an Aussie, just a Yank in Oz but I've collected silver commems (old not new version), Buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, indian head, etc. Got many sets and have upgraded and continue to upgrade some. With US coins, it's really best to focus on one area and there are so many to choose from as said before.

That said, I'm going the other way and starting my Aussie collection soon. Someone find me a decent priced goose dollar please.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8864 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jamie: in some ways, we seem to be opposites.
I built a pre decimal type set of Austrlain coins a very long time ago in all three metals, Adelaide Pound included. 17 sovereigns and halves with the silver and bronze types represented by the rarest date for type. (except the '30 penny, which was represented by a '25). Sold that collection, along with about 50 nice ancients including two gold, to raise deposit for a house.

Now, my U.S. collection is bigger than my current Australian collection! It includes a couple of nice early commemorative half dollars, a St-Gaudens Double Eagle and a gold dollar of 1853. I picked up a complete set of circulation States Quarters out of a bikkie barrel of change, when I visited the 'States recently. Cost? Face value, $12.50! That was fun!

The Canadian part of my collection, which includes a 1913 $10 gold, is about the same size as my Australian collection. It includes a type set of silver dollars to 1967, and a type set of nickels, including a tombac beaver, in Unc.

My current collection of ancients (which is my first love), is bigger than these. It numbers around 200, and includes a Macedonian gold Stater of Philip 11, aureii of Augustus and Vespasian, solidii of Leo and Phocas (Byzantine), and a tetradrachm of Athens, about 430 BC. Quite a few other nice tetradrachms as well. Ancient coins of Southern Asia, China and India are represented.

Such a collection needs decent library backup, and includes a copy R.I.C., all volumes, Krause for the last 400 years, books on forgery (a must), and a complete set of David Sear's books.

Oh! I probably have the biggest collection of square coins by type in the World. Easy to do, because I have NEVER heard of anybody else collecting square coins by type! 84 machine struck types, and counting!
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  03:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel,

That is impressive mate. You definitely qualify for only one I've ever heard of collecting squares by type. If you ever visit WA, bring one of those sets for me to drool over up close. Cheers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8864 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The square coin collection was put together for fun, mostly out of dealers' junk boxes for not much money, and with most of them, for less than a dollar. Even now, most of the coins have little value. Probably explains why nobody else has put such a collection together. I am a rather obtuse collector.

Suggestion: Why not put together a fun collection of low value modern circulating coins which have :
1.) various metals
2.) various shapes
3.) various languages or scripts.

With a World collection, instead of collecting one from every country,
how about one from every century, from the invention of coinage?

Such a collection would give you an overall history of the development of coinage, expressed in actual metal. Folks who have no knowledge of numismatics would find such a collection interesting. Would make a good show and tell item.

With such a collection, you can pick up a Byzantine coin, a Chinese coin, or an ancient Indian coin for not much money, at a time when coinage during the Dark Ages after the fall of the Roman Empire, when European coinage was almost non existant.

You would certainly learn a whole lot about the development of coinage in general, against a background of World history across the centuries. A good quality collection in total would not cost you a huge amount of money. Most of the coins could be had in the $10 to $50 price range.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the moment I just collect Australian...I figure there's so many different avenues you can go down as far as colonial, pre-decimal, decimal, notes & the list goes on.
I have some canadian, US & british coins, but it's not something I actively collect.
My only other notes are Samoan as we lived there for two years because dad was working for the Australian tax office over there.
the biggested problem with expanding the other non-Australian collection is capital.
I am in Australia so there's more demand for Australian. Although the internet allows us to buy from almost anywhere (if we do the right research).
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

If someoe are interrested to collect canadian coin for fun, contact me

Canadian coin can be fun to collect, it don't have a lot of print like USA ( USA can be fun too ) Probably like other country it have some commemorative issue.

Thanks !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yves
Check out my wanted post
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=112382
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

You collecet my favorite (50¢), It's not easy to find them at cheaper price, depending what you want too. You can not collect them in circulated condition because it don'T have 50¢ in circulation.

My pleasure for foreign coin it's just to have for fun, I collect them in circulated condition, I don't care with value. Anyway recent circulated coin have about no value.

I only have a duplicate of 2010 but it's not interresting to trade only 1 coin..

Why not start penny or nickel ? lol

THanks 1
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2031 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect both U.S. and Canada, in fact U.S. coins are my largest collection, mainly because you need 3 of most coins to cover all the mints.

Steve
View my Coins, Banknotes & Tokens (NOW WITH OVER 8200 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 223
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05