Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting from Banks in "high crime" areas  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Xavier is absolutely correct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
706 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to go those area for CRWs during daytime. Very productive indeed. But those solid rolls of silver were usually from better off area!
Series from CRH: Jefferson(1938-2014,100%);
Buffalo 5C(45/65,ongoing)
Ben&JFK 50C(1948-2015,100%);
Walker 50C(47/66 ongoing)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It honestly would be quite funny to see a thief struggle with 20+ pounds of coins

How about that career Ecuadoran thief that took that 86 pound pail of gold flakes off that truck in NYC? The videos showed him walking away fairly easily, went two blocks to his car, feds think hes in LA hiding now...$1.6Mil I think it was !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4716 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about that career Ecuadoran thief that took that 86 pound pail of gold flakes off that truck in NYC? The videos showed him walking away fairly easily, went two blocks to his car, feds think hes in LA hiding now...$1.6Mil I think it was !

Are you suggesting switching to ACH (Armored Car Hunting) vs. CRH?
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FordF150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle 42 is absolutely correct !
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. I think that high crime ares are less likely to have another CRHer in the area. Whenever I pick up rolls locally, I get the feeling that they are dumps from some other hunter who has a better relationship with the bank and they allow him/her to deposit rolls when I have to bag a send out.
That being said, I have gone to some banks on the famed 8 mile road in Detroit and there were no halves to be had. maybe I need to go deeper.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1317 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck:

Quote:
A concealed carry permit would help the situation a bit.
It is a federal offense to carry any weapon into a bank or financial institution unless you're a qualified LEO (cop, etc.). Even CCW's (trained or not,sorry to say) are "unarmed" from you vehicle until you return with your box of goodies. But yes, I agree, unless you're Scottish and want to "pick a fit"!
Learn More...
United States
41208 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not make the comment, Earle did. My reply was that being armed and trained is not a reason to go looking for trouble. In other words, one might do best to stay away from the bad side of town, armed or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
643 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is a federal offense to carry any weapon into a bank or financial institution unless you're a qualified LEO (cop, etc.). Even CCW's (trained or not,sorry to say) are "unarmed" from you vehicle until you return with your box of goodies.

Where did you get this idea? The only place the Feds can ban concealed carry is on federal property. From the quick research I did, it appears that Montana (surprisingly) is the only state that specifically bans firearms in banks.

EDIT- I only did very quick web searching. I am in no way giving legal advice. Every state is different and the banks themselves can also ban concealed carry.
Edited by schmidty
01/11/2017 3:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a CRH story exactly, but I once did a transaction for a customer whose business was in a "high crime" area. Among the cash in the transaction were two 1957 $1 silver certificates. I still have them. http://goccf.com/t/179101
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1940; Half 1964; Dollar 1971 (Canadian 1964)
Edited by hcmusicguy
01/11/2017 4:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
923 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps customer wrapped rolls would be better in terms of luck. But would thieves deposit stolen coins in their local bank?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  01:41 am  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I shouldn't venture down to East L.A. anytime soon ... No worries. I'm in a very low-crime area, and I literally have no less than 25 banks at my disposal within 10-15 miles of me. You have to go about 20-25 miles any direction from where I live (except West as there's this big blue thing with no banks, and lots of fish ) to get to a high crime area.
12/17/16 CRH/CF/CS totals
Cents: Indians:2, Steel:5, Wheats:686
Nickels: V:2, Buffalo:48, Key Date Jeffersons:14 (38-D:4, 38-S:4, 39-D:1, 39-S:5), Pre-60:2,996
Silver (15.10 oz): War Nickels:114, Dimes:31 (2 Mercury), Quarters:5, Halves:27 (7 90%-1 Walker, 20 40%), Australia 50% 6 Pence:1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"From the quick research I did, it appears that Montana (surprisingly) is the only state that specifically bans firearms in banks."

That seems to be the case. However, banks like any other business can choose to ban them. In Texas, it was recently legalized to openly carry a firearm (in a waist or shoulder holder and requiring a CCP), but it's still up to the institution to make the rules. And, in this case, it may only apply to open-carry and not concealed-carry.

I agree with above comments that looking for trouble in a "high crime" area is not worth it. At the least, you lose $25 for a box of cents. At the most, you're dead.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5223 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2017  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" Coin Roll Hunting In High Crime Area's "
WOW what has become of our hobby ? Are we getting to be that desperate to find a few pieces of silver ? Perhaps when your in that high crime area bank trying to get boxes of coins ,a couple of thugs will come in and rob not only the bank but you too .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2017  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCM Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is a federal offense to carry any weapon into a bank or financial institution unless you're a qualified LEO (cop, etc.). Even CCW's (trained or not,sorry to say) are "unarmed" from you vehicle until you return with your box of goodies.

Not true. The federal government CAN NOT regulate firearms transport on private property within a state. They CAN requlate transport/possession on federally-owned property, such as a post office or a federal correctional facility.

An individual state may or may not allow "bank carry". I know it's legal in my state, and if I carry in a bank I carry concealed.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05