Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions on future of $20 for $20 series  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2777 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2017  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wildflowerAB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Coinsplus, that's interesting and yes indeed, somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I recall that occurring. After RCM worked a deal with RBC, other banks began cashing them but shipped the coins to RBC for compensation.

Also, the Currency Act lists no Canadian coin ever being demonitized.

Thank you for sharing your insight.
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2017  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coinsplus. it seems not that the 1976 series was demonetized, but that it wasn't really fully monetized in the first place! Anyway, it stands as a good lesson on the strange grey area that NCLT lives in as far as getting the face value back.
Think I'll cash some in - though I do love the maple leaves, the canoe, the polar bear, rudolph, Santa....Jeez, maybe I love em all after all....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
623 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rockfish

I like all of them too. I have placed them in the 20/25 face value box offered by RCM. I also kept one each of the $100 face value series and kept 2 of each of the $200.00 face value coins as well.

I am taking my chances and will keep all.
Edited by New1954
05/01/2017 08:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that box still around? I'd love to get one.
I ended up keeping one of each and doubles of all my favourites and with the trade in picked up a gorgeous $100 Canadian gold. My LCS guy gave me full value, but knew I was trading not selling. He said a lot of dealers are not offering full value. I kept all of my canoe ones. The design is so calmly eerie - like a fine art piece in your palm.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5865 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is that box still around? I'd love to get one.

Instead of that box, consider getting this box:

Presentation case for 35 Canadian " $20 for $20" silver coins

http://www.thecoinshoppe.ca/present...ilver-coins/

**Looks great, wooden
**Discounted
**Lighthouse
**Canadian dealer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
623 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add New1954 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rockfish

Silveroid recommends a great wooden box which is excellent. I put mine in that RCM issue box with the pics of the coins. It is a cardboard box and you can place the certificates underneath coins in its own compartment. The problem was the canoe card was too wide to fit. So, when complaints came in, RCM issued replacement cards for the canoe certificates to fit.

CC&C still sells it at issue price. They also carry the wooden box that silveroid suggests. Prior to RCM issuing new canoe certificate for the canoe, I just inserted underneath the plastic container the box comes in. No big problem. CC&C offers free shipping on orders over 150. The coins shoppe offers free shipping over 200. The cardboard box was 29.95. Good luck.
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2017  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I'm looking for!
Yeah baby, yeah!
Valued Member
Canada
406 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2017  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lucv13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unloaded mine at the bank last summer and bought my 48 SD with the funds
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2017  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silveroid for the link. I ordered a presentation case today for $US 37.70 including shipping.

Finally a home for my coins.

Edited by canadian_coins
05/06/2017 01:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2017  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my case and happy with the purchase for the price. It is nowhere near the quality of RCM's collector case but again, for the price...

PS: coins are not in any particular order.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now in a particular order...

Learn More...
Canada
7002 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
392 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2017  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sherwooddavid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the CBC article SPP- Ottawa. I'm not sure I agree with a lot of it and especially what Henry Nienhuis, president of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association had to say. "At the very beginning of the series, people purchased them thinking that they … could go to a store and actually spend them," he said from Woodbridge, Ont. But banks and shops won't touch them, and lately "the novelty is worn off."
I have the every Face value coin in my collection and can take them to my bank tomorrow and cash them in if I wanted.
I think the reason most people were cashing them in is for credit card rewards and personal reasons not the price of silver. I'm not an expert and maybe I'm looking at it wrong but I really don't care what the price of silver is as long as the mint honors the face value of the coin. If in the future they decide not to honor the face value I'll be off to my bank to cash them in. In the mean time I'll enjoy my collection.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6520 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If in the future they decide not to honor the face value I'll be off to my bank to cash them in.

The banks that accept them only do so as agents of the mint, the mint pays them $20 plus a handling fee. Within a microsecond of the mints decision not to honor them the banks will follow suit. If the handling fee the mint pays is reduced to a point where it becomes unprofitable to accept these the banks will refuse to cash them.There is no law in place that banks must accept them. I believe that in the not too distant future you will only be able to redeem them as payment towards new mint products.

Time to order my Lighthouse case before I forget, down to about US$30 now.
Edited by DBM
05/22/2017 12:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3456 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2017  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One has to think the RCM's crack legal teams advice for these xforx coins, due to their marketing promise comes with unlimited liability for future redeeming or the RCM would have instantly ceased redemption by now. Yes when has the banks ever offer any service for free, you can't make 2 billion every 90 days by being kind and generous.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05