Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 nickel scar face!  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My theory is .... The lips may be similar in shape and length for sure,
but for any part of a clashed die,
I think you can omit any part of the obverse die design.
It has to be the obverse die is damaged in some way. A deep scratch, gouge or something foreign
found it's way between a coin blank that was hard enough to cut into the die while a coin was struck.
( That coin might have a retained struck through )
Any coins after that that were struck with this die, will exhibit this "scar".
Maybe there are a few out there that went into the finished coin bins before the obverse die was replaced.
I for one, am on the lookout. I still like it.
See my signature anyways.
I am sure of one thing when it comes to coins.
I am frequently wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4681 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing the closest clash I could possibly come up with, it is way off center and rotated.
IMO this is one coin I would consider getting graded and identified by the professional graders.
My image overlay is a little south. But I guess it will do. There are points that actually line up but with it being so dramatic, I would think there would be more of a "clash" if it were one.
I am sticking with a damaged obverse die and would like to know eventually how this turns out.

I am sure of one thing when it comes to coins.
I am frequently wrong.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks more to me like a glancing blow from the edge of another coin. Leaving a line in the center and two raised areas on each side making them higher than the field. But I can't confirm this yet without some closer images of that area.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelguy That's the best evidence yet. Not to say that the others aren't without merit.
Coop How close up and what angle would you like?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2017  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A square image (1000 pixels+) of the eye to the lower lip square area. That will help we see the area incuse/raised in that area. From what I'm seeing is like a furrow with the metal forced in two directions on the image. No other suggestions so far see likely. A clash would be on the outside of the bust/field area. With that area deeper into the die, contact on the die seem unlikely. Just try to figure out what I could have missed on this coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pics Coop asked for. I actually took 5 more. One from each angle. I hope this helps!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Okay, you all will think I am totally nuts with my theory.

CoinCents, If your nuts, then I am too as I gave this theory some consideration as well.

That is if you're thinking possible struck through a dropped element. Similar to a dropped letter or maybe scrap.

A clash or feeder finger damage that deep seems out of the question with current images.

I also thought possible damage after strike as coop mentions. Hopefully a close up image will shed more light. Thanks, Doug.

edit: New images show up while I was typing above. Makes it longer and more like a die gouge. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
04/22/2017 10:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the lines runnimg the leangth of the anomaly now showing in the closeup I'm still seeing it as feeder finger damage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1040 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still find it hard to phantom a (harden steel) feeder finger reaching or bending into the recessed die area(s) and not leave any marks at or closer to the field level in the process. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
04/22/2017 5:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2017  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Halo , this design is odd. Take one of these coins and look across Liberty and towards the bust as close to the plane of the fields as possible. The area in question may even have a positive relief on the die face.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is feeder finger considered an error? Should I think about sending it in? If so, What is the process? Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , feeder finger damage is an error. I save the dramatic ones I find though they don't hold any extra value.
Your coin has a die gouge. Were it mine I would call it feeder finger damage and put it with my others though I wouldn't go further than that
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23900 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the 4th image. You can see the mark in incuse on the coin. So it is coin damage.

How many lights are you using on your images? Close ups are better with just one light source and no secondary light sources.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2017  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry coop but the mark is not incuse, it is raised and I do only use 1 light source for my pictures.It may look like it in that 1 picture but it is raised above the cheek.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05