Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pocket Piece - Who has one?  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2017  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding images on coins, coins from Saudi Arabia and some other Muslim countries don't picture a ruler, head of state, etc because, in general terms, placing the image of man on a coin is a form of blasphemy against Allah.

When the King of Afghanistan had his image on an Afghani coin, all heck broke loose.

It's an interesting Google subject.
When people say there's no such thing as a stupid question, invariably its those same people who keep asking stupid questions.
Valued Member
Canada
85 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2017  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockfish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 999 you are absolutely right. As soon as I posted that, I thought of all the Chinese cash coins etc with no people on them. I suppose I was thinking mainly of Western coins - though it is still rare, worldwide to have an animate object on a coin but still have no human I think?
Valued Member
United States
413 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2017  10:03 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several turn of the century low denomination coppers and other "moderns" come to mind as well.
When people say there's no such thing as a stupid question, invariably its those same people who keep asking stupid questions.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2017  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another month has gone by already...Traded my 1978 Ike for a 1971.

Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Learn More...
United States
41228 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2017  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another month has gone by already...
Looking good.

Quote:
Traded my 1978 Ike for a 1971.
Nice "upgrade" on the Ike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the current state of my pocket.

Just brought the Morgan back from a break. These are current pictures, along with the first pictures I took of it back in April 2015 on the day it arrived from eBay.

The Half Crown has been going with me since just before the first of this year. Started out pretty much uncirculated with plenty of luster, except that it had really nasty, ugly dark toning going on. Which is gone now.

Today

April 2015

Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1940; Half 1964; Dollar 1971 (Canadian 1964)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Adam (Paralyse)
ANA #3181967 - EAC #6338 - SSDC L/M
Washington 25c - Colonials - Early Copper - Morgans - VAMs...
Learn More...
United States
41228 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the update, hcmusicguy and very nice, paralyse!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2017  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are all nice pocket pieces! I love when ASEs are lowballs, they have this look to them!
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now, for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!

Visit my eBay store, I have lots of BINS and auction style listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/In-God-We-Tr...and-Currency

Coinlover1899s want list: http://goccf.com/t/282274
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted an encased cent a little while back that I was considering using but, I decided against it since they are collecibles and the long list of ones from Texas I found did not include mine.

I kind of forgot about the idea until I received a lot of cull Morgans and saw this:

It is a gold-plated 1921-D!

I'm interested in how the plating will wear and how long it will take to smooth out all those horrendous scratches. This is Day One.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice hcmusicguy and paralyse.

Congrats on the new pocket piece Spruett!! Great choice on the '21D Morgan.

Is this your first pocket piece? If so welcome to the club
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, this will be the first.

Edit: I was just thinking - are there any specific rules for a pocket piece? Is fidgeting allowed? I know it seems silly but I tend to do that.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."

-Carl Sagan
Edited by spruett001
03/21/2017 01:12 am
Learn More...
United States
41228 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edit: I was just thinking - are there any specific rules for a pocket piece? Is fidgeting allowed? I know it seems silly but I tend to do that.
Your coin, your rules.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1552 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had one about twenty years ago. It was a proof 1977-S Washington quarter that I was trying to wear down. I kept it in my pocket for several years until the day I accidentally dropped it down between the seat cushion and arm of an overstuffed chair and it disappeared. I would have had to rip the chair apart to retrieve it.
Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
03/22/2017 11:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1389 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Got both of these in change during a Canada trip in '68. Carried them about 15 yrs, then retired them to my odds & ends. I now carry 1888 & 1921S Morgans,1893 Columbian half & 1915 Barber half. I like hefty silver. I won't live long enough for them to look like the halfs shown.
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05