Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This coin deserves a GRADE! 1909S VDB PCGS "genuine" slab.

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jesting sorry for the negative sentiment you've received so far. I think if you'll hang around this site a little longer you'll come to love collecting, and see they'res a whole bunch of excellent people attached to it. And welcome!

JBUCK... PRICELESS I'm still laughing.... So true!

As for the 1909 S VDB, Crack it out, make no mention of this when submitting to ANACS Score a home run, And if needed down the road, Kaching!
These TPG's are just like well I don't want to come across the wrong way but let me say its like they have there . sometimes (I meant nothing by it, just relating the mood swings :-)) Please no hate mail. lol

And if it don't work the first time, persistence is key! Use family members if needed. She'll come back the way you want.
The reward is worth it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11442 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Found this forum and the discussion, decided to sign up because of it.
I too recently received a group of coins back from PCGS ungraded, in my case marked "questionable toning". This is my first interaction with a coin grading service.
I believe this is because there was limited toning on one side ( these are all Morgan Silver Dollars) and none on the back.
The coins came from my Uncle, had been stored for years in a felt holder that held them tightly in place but allowed the front to receive air/moisture/whatever. I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the disparity.
So, instead of getting a grade, I instead get a coin with an unknown grade and a holder that screams "look at me, I'm modified" .
I'm also thinking of cracking it and just putting it in a book.
This is frustrating- and feels like I just wasted a lot of money "subscribing" to PCGS and getting five plastic holders.
I'm not really worried about these coins being authentic, as the dates are common. I just thought they were in really good condition ( strong images, little scuffing on the surface) and wanted to know what they graded at. Sigh.

I might add that this was submitted at the Long Beach Coin show, where NGC calmly told me not to bother them and that the woman manning that booth stated "I am not a numismatist, and why not go talk to a dealer".

There, you've got my vent. Now let me crankily go and read more posts...
People wonder why it's hard getting people into coin collecting...

Welcome to CC!

Submitting coins to NGC/PCGS is tricky business and only for the experienced. Lots of newbies make mistakes so chalk this one up to experience....albeit an expensive lesson. I suggest you gather opinions by posting pictures and asking questions before you try again. We might have been able to save you money.

Also, keep in mind, just because a TPG says a coin is "questionable", doesn't necessarily make it a problem coin. In many cases it simply means they don't want it in their holder because it doesn't meet their predefined criteria for look. This happens ALL the time.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community, jesting1!

Quote:
Also, keep in mind, just because a TPG says a coin is "questionable", doesn't necessarily make it a problem coin. In many cases it simply means they don't want it in their holder because it doesn't meet their predefined criteria for look. This happens ALL the time.
This is so important to know that it needs repeating.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save your popcorn for awhile longer folks.

I haven't submitted the coin for regrading yet. I do want to thank everyone for the advice and opinions.

I will eventually re-submit it, but it's not a priority at the moment. In my opening post I mentioned 4 other coins that I planned on including with my submission. Of those 4 coins, 3 of them would have to grade 66+ in order to cover the cost of having them graded. I seriously doubt that they would have honestly.

Truth-be-told, I was looking for a "reason" to re-submit the 09svdb and trying to justify sending it along with others that "might" be worth it.

I'm leaning towards ANACS when I finally do send it in. I've learned that PCGS isn't the best TPG to send any "questionable" copper.

As of right now, this coin is headed back into the album I found it in. I'll keep you all posted...

Thanks again for all the advice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  8:14 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (again), but isn't this coin in a PCGS holder in the Opening thread?

Quote:

I have seen several coins that have been identified as "questionable/artificial/recolored etc... in the TOP III TPG slabs. Or are you thinking that the recipient will crack it out when they get the "bad news"?
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/01/2012 8:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As of right now, this coin is headed back into the album I found it in.

I suppose your recent nickel experience is satisfying enough for now.

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (again), but isn't this coin in a PCGS holder in the Opening thread?
It is, but without a grade and marked as genuine, not a details grade. This makes it difficult to sell for (or just know) what it is really worth. A lot of people are biased by the TPG opinion and won't see past it to assess a true grade.

Quote:
Or are you thinking that the recipient will crack it out when they get the "bad news"?
Probably. If only to give up or resubmit it (more money for the TPG).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the ANACS silver dollar and Lincoln cent (minimum of 10 coins for $10 each) sale just ended on 2-29. They usually have a few a year, so that might be worthwhile to wait for it, if you can get enough coins to submit for it.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the ANACS special that just ended for coins worth less than $500 though?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, jesting1!
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I hope this thread isn't too old for me to bring back.

First and foremost, I need to apologize for my errors in my opening post. A "98" designation from PCGS is NOT an improperly-cleaned coin. A 98 bodybagged coin is a coin with damage.

Here's the list of codes:

Code Reason Explanation Described Holdered
82 Filed Rims Rim(s) and/or edge is filed. (more) Yes Yes
83 Peeling Lamination Potential for sealing damage. (more) Yes No
84 Holed and/or Plugged Any filled or non-filled hole. (more) Yes Yes
91 Questionable Color Any artificial re-toning & dipped copper. (more) No Yes
92 Cleaning Harsh cleaning or polishing. (more) No Yes
93 Planchet Flaw Generally large & prominent flaw(s). (more) No Yes
94 Altered Surfaces Any applied substance (wax, putty, lacquer). (more) No Yes
95 Scratch(s) Large & prominent scratch(s). (more) No Yes
97 Environmental Damage Corrosion, excessive toning, verdigris. (more) No Yes
98 Damage Any metal movement. (more) Yes Yes
99 PVC Residue Oily polyvinylchloride substance. (more) Yes No

The "(more)" in the 98 designation is a link to a more detailed definition of "metal movement". Here's what it says:

The following damage descriptions are some of the more common that may be indicated on your 98 graded insert.

1. Graffiti (significant distracting etchings- occasionally net graded on early coins)
2. Planchet streak removed (usually found on gold coins)
3. Spot(s) removed (leaving some form of damage that is evident)
4. Surfaces tooled (major metal movement- whizzing, lasering, tooling)
5. Machine damage (either: counting machine or coin wrapping machine)
6. Rim damage (either: rim gouge or test cut)
7. Surface damage (either: large gouge/scrape, drill or chop mark)
8. Mount removed (located on either the edge or surface of coin)

Awhile back, I took advantage of a "submit 7 and pay for 5" coupon from ANACS and sent this one in. (Heck, I've done stupider things with a $20 bill.)

It's BENT.

Which better explains as to why the obverse appears to be more worn than the reverse. In hand, it sticks out like a sore thumb now.

And it's also VF20 Details. Here's the new photos.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  11:17 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There ya go. A MUCH better result indeed. Now you know the REAL issue with the coin and have a fair grade on it. As I have said and will continue to say until I die, PCGS and NGC do NOT deserve their better than all else rep.

As for the questions about cracking the slabs and putting the coins in an album. It is very simple. The money I spend at ANACS serves the purpose of confirming the coins genuinosity (I made that up just now LOL) and if I was in the same neighborhood on the grade. I can not abide by a hole in my album if I actually have the coin. I tried. I had stuff in my Washington Quarter Dansco occupying the 32D&S holes while the coins sat in slabs. I opened the book one day to put some new acquisitions in it and something in me snapped. I ran to the tool box, grabbed two pliers and a flat head and broke them out. When I placed them in those pitifully open holes, the skies parted and angels sang, so I knew I did the right thing.

Now, do I have other coins still in slabs? Sure do. But those coins will never be in an album. So they sit snugly in their plastic, and that is good too.

I guess it just depends on what you feel your coins true destiny is.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2013  11:59 pm  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's better looking now! I like the grade it got. Not too bad?

jbuck, a while ago you posted your coins wouldn't get much money. That's how I feel my collection is. Now remember, I'm collecting because I like them. I sometimes buy common date coins by the way. I don't care if someone said's it's a common date. I didn't buy the coin to sell, I bought to enjoy :)
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05