Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Look: 2013-W "Enhanced" uncirculated special ASE!

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar of the Community
United States
1850 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting aside by Coin World during an interview with Michael White , mint spokesperson.

Quote:
White said at this time it has not been determined whether the "Enhanced Uncirculated" superlative will become the norm for Mint-marked, non-Proof silver American Eagles, replacing the standard, burnished Uncirculated version.

Will this coin replace the uncirculated (burnished) mint offering from now on ?

What does everyone else think ? Would you like to see this added to the line up ? Replace the uncirculated ? Become another " specialty " offering like the Reverse Proof ?
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people ....."

Wanted List: Graded Libertads, MS66+, Putting together a registry set
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  12:51 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be fine as an additional version (like the RP) but it should not replace the burnished W...nice series going and the price is reasonable...

I'm sure the "enhanced" version would sell for more....
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Foxwoods on that, maybe keep the enhanced as a special version and not bring it out annually and keep the burnished coin as an annual. I think the proof and and the burnished should be considered the standard and everything else a special edition that comes out periodically.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Craig T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice looking coin, one that is going on my "to buy" list as soon as it becomes available. I personally think that our ASE's are the best looking of the silver bullion coins ( with the only exception being the 2010 Canadian hockey silver dollars ( yes I'm a huge hockey fan )
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with foxwoods, keep the current uncirculated but if they wanted to keep it going in special sets like the RP im all for it.

Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2013  6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mystic2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
umm yeh definitely looks amazing might have to spring for it.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2013  02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It has always been my impression that Proofs were Struck On Specially prepared Blanks and with Special Dies.

Burnished blanks ARE specially prepared blanks. Maybe not the same as those used for proof coins, but specially prepared nevertheless.

Quote:
Since this Eagle is going to be struck on a Burnished Blank It can't be considered Proof even if they Struck it 40 times. The Blank is not a polished Proof Blank.

Back when the Mint announced that they'd be making new Eagles on burnished blanks. I decided to look the word up. Guess what burnished means?

Quote:
transitive verb bur·nished, bur·nish·ing, bur·nish·es

To make smooth or glossy by or as if by rubbing; polish.
To rub with a tool that serves especially to smooth or polish.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2013  03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wif99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Blank is not a polished Proof Blank.

The key word in that statement is Proof Burnished eagle blanks have been called Uncirculated since the 1st 1 rolled off the press. You can not go back and say all burnished blanks are now proof coins

The mint refers to the American Eagle struck on a burnished blank as Uncirculated, And an Eagle stuck on a proof blank as proof
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2013  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mint refers to the American Eagle struck on a burnished blank as Uncirculated, And an Eagle stuck on a proof blank as proof

Is that the only thing in your definition of proof coins that makes the coin a proof coin? That it was struck on proof blank? You're free to disagree, but here is my definition of proof:
Struck on specially prepared blank (Check)
Struck multiple times (Check)
Manually fed into coin press (Check)
individually handled and packaged (Check)
Huge Mark-up (Check)

The US Mint may choose to call it "Enhanced Uncirculated" for no reason other than marketing and distinguishing it from other products, but that doesn't change what the coin is or isn't. Keep in mind that generically, "Proof" describes how the coin was made, while "Uncirculated" describes the coin's condition. An uncirculated coin can stop being uncirculated, while a proof coins is always a proof, no matter what you do to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2013  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generically... the mint designates the coins status - Proof or Uncirculated. We can speculate all day as to what/how/why they chose to call these uncirculated and it isn't going to affect that designation at all. The process, the planchetes, the number of times stamped etc... mean absolutely zilch if the mint designates it as an uncirculated coin... it isn't going to become a proof in the secondary market.

Kind of like the secondary resellers attempting to make bullion coins - uncirculated. You can advertise them all day as uncirculated, but at the end of the day - they are bullion coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2013  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When U.S. Mint officials were asked why the coin is considered an "uncirculated" and not a "proof" coin, the mint responded with the following statement:

Most of our premium coins, both uncirculated and proof, are struck multiple times on specially prepared dies. Therefore, using the number of strikes is not always an indicator of what is proof and what is uncirculated. The horsehair brush automated process creates a reflective surface of artwork elements but cannot achieve a smoothness of the felt pad. The felt pad cannot polish relief and is generally used to polish the field of a proof die, resulting in a mirror like finish. The auto polishing with a horsehair brush results in a brilliant uncirculated finish. The dies then go through a laser frosting process to achieve a heavy laser frost or a light laser frost in areas as described above.

So it all comes down to the horsehair brush (brilliant unc.) verses the felt pad (proof) according to the mint.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The process, the planchetes, the number of times stamped etc... mean absolutely zilch if the mint designates it as an uncirculated coin

The US Mint is not the only producer of coins in the world, nor is it the only entity involved with numismatics. So, one would suspect, not the only authority on the subject. Others, may have their own opinions, and, horror, be actually entitled to them.

Quote:
... it isn't going to become a proof in the secondary market.

You mean like all those privy marked bullion maple leaf coins that PCGS insists on calling Reverse Proof, right?

Quote:
Kind of like the secondary resellers attempting to make bullion coins - uncirculated. You can advertise them all day as uncirculated, but at the end of the day - they are bullion coins.

You do realize that "uncirculated" or "mint state" refers to the coin's condition and not the manufacturing process. All coins are, by definition, uncirculated at the moment they leave the Mint. Yes, that also includes proofs. An uncirculated coin can very easily lose that status. The proof coin is proof, no matter what you do to it.
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LXShutter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So it all comes down to the horsehair brush (brilliant unc.) verses the felt pad (proof) according to the mint.

That certainly is a valid view. But it would only apply to fairly recent coins. It wouldn't apply to proof coins produced for most of the last couple of centuries. Those didn't stop being proofs just because someone invented lasers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8998 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The US Mint is not the only producer of coins in the world, nor is it the only entity involved with numismatics. So, one would suspect, not the only authority on the subject. Others, may have their own opinions, and, horror, be actually entitled to them.

Thats a fair point, I would argue though that they are the authority on what they make.

This is new territory for them though so its possible theyll change their mind, and I dont have a problem if someone wants to call it a partial proof or believe its a proof.

I am interested to see if the TPGs grade them as MS or PR
Edited by basebal21
03/28/2013 02:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2013  02:07 am  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with basebal21.
TPG will grade these as PMS (Proof-Mint Strike).
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05