Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970-S LMC "Rim Spikes"? Calling them that because I have no idea?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1533 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that these are die dents, but I don't know what caused them. Such is the case with most forms of die damage.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23926 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2016  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind these die dents are really very small. Were are looking the the coins with a microscope. So even a slight bit of contact of the die, would look huge on a coin. (because we use a scope to see it)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/28/2016 09:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for mentioning that coop. They really are very small. Tend to overlook that part of it cause I'm so used to seeing the dents under a scope.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  07:53 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe we are

Take a look at the last image here and see the discussion:
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...ieGouges.htm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2016  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link Pete. Sure does look like what we are seeing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  05:19 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw another set of these marks show up on another forum. I am inclined to think that Ken Potter is correct in saying that there is no point in pursuing the question about their cause, but every time I see them my curiosity gets the best of me!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3373 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dustin6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, same here, HMMMMM I want to keep going!! But I just cant!
14 year old avid coin collector. Always trying to learn more about the hobby.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help it! I keep returning to this question!

I am working on a hypothesis concerning how these die dents happen. If anyone is able to help me by providing comments, photos, or videos, I would be grateful!

I contacted the US Mint and have received a response. They don’t know! (Surprise!) However, they did offer a list of possibilities. One of their most interesting possibilities of where or when this could happen is during the die installation and/or servicing process.

I am thinking that one of the tools with a high probability of causing these dents is a Die Setter Pry Bar. Here is a photo of some Pry Bars:

I have also found some photos of the assembling of die tool kits.

Edited by Pete2226
02/17/2017 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1045 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my mind a die is just one piece of many that make up for the tooling or toolset process. Remember the mint is a manufacturing or production plant that just happens to manufacture dies to produce the end product coins. The die itself after creation I'm sure is handled more times than we might think. Can go from creation to QC, then to production, then to the tool setter, then to the machine operator.

The last image shows what I was referring to earlier. The die is just one piece of the tooling or toolset. I get the impression some might think the dies are popped in and out of the machine like a bit used in a cordless drill, when in fact theres a little more involved in setting up for a machining process. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
02/17/2017 11:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Doug.

I found this video of a Die Setter preparing a die.

At 31 seconds into the video is a place where a slight movement to the side could leave this kind of dent on the die.

U9zHQyB_W_g
Edited by Pete2226
02/17/2017 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2737 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that video too, but the dents we are seeing are more like lines, they have two straight sides. A dent from something like that would leave a beveled mark.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2017  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dent on the coin in the OP has one obvious straight side.The other side seems to fade away. I still think it is possible that this dent could be made by the action of placing the collar (that is the collar, isn't it?). I have an image of the underside of that collar, which would be the portion to come into contact with the coin die. It is what seems like a circumferential ridge which would make contact. (See the white arrow on this image). Seems to me that it is very close to a "fit". There is room to maneuver the collar a bit before that portion reaches the die surface. It would not take but a slight movement for it to drop slightly off center.

Edited by Pete2226
02/17/2017 4:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2017  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be another similar gouge - but a bit away from the rim. I winder what kind of set up they had in 1919 in terms of feeder fingers, and etc.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05