Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Boys Town Commemorative Coins - Release date: March 9th  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2017  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I inferred from "Well I ordered the complete 5 coins for a complete set..." that the belief was that there were no MS produced, not that there were simply none available. My mistake.

No worries. That's initially how I read it too.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/10/2017 2:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2017  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 5 coins came in today. I ordered both proof and uncirculated for the clad and silver issues, and the proof of the gold. Maybe if there's money left over at the end of the year in the coin budget (yeah, right), I'll add the uncirculated $5 as well. Though I think I would rather put that towards something else since the $5 design isn't outstanding in this issue.

As I mentioned, the gold $5 design is not the strongest in recent years IMO, but it offers a very good likeness of Flanagan on the obverse. And I do like the simplicity of the sprouting acorn in a palm on the reverse. As always, it would be nicer to see these $5 designs on a bigger format.

I really like the silver $1 design. The little girl gazing up at the oak leaf on the wide open obverse is very pleasing (love that giant, open field; reminds me of my youth in Nebraska, walking through wide open fields), and the massive oak tree on the reverse is majestic. Nice design. Looks great in both the proof and uncirculated.

The clad half design is just OK to me. I prefer the obverse with the pair walking towards the "Boys Town" obelisk-y pillar vs the reverse.

Happy with these coins overall and they do make me wax nostalgic about of my trips to Boys Town as a kid, visiting the philately museum there and the dairy farm. Fun stuff.

Edited by CelticKnot
04/11/2017 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2163 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, CelticKnot. I received my silver dollars today. I have to say that I am so very pleased with these coins. They are exactly what I was hoping for when I first saw the proposed designs. You're right about that large open field on the obverse. It is mesmerizing. And that tree on the reverse. Goodness. . . . that tree!

I really want to own both coins in PF70 (PCGS) WITH TrueView images. I hope such a set will show up on the bay eventually. This is by far my most favorite mint offering since I began collecting in 2011. I don't care about mintage numbers, after market values, popularity, etc. I just care about having them in my collection.

Edited by Darth Morgan
04/12/2017 9:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos, Darth! And I'm glad you are enjoying your dollars as much as I am.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2017  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the gold coin. My photo quality is but in hand the coin is flawless.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2163 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2017  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the reverse on the gold, and they did an outstanding job on the likeness of Flanagan. Too bad this couldn't have been a second silver dollar.
Learn More...
United States
42663 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2017  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice you two!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3448 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing images of your new coins.

My order of "favorite" is 1) Silver Dollar, 2) Gold Half Eagle and 3) Clad Half Dollar.

The SD's simple yet meaningful design might even make my "Top 10" modern US commemorative design list.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2017  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My order of "favorite" is 1) Silver Dollar, 2) Gold Half Eagle and 3) Clad Half Dollar.

Definitely agree.

Quote:
The SD's simple yet meaningful design might even make my "Top 10" modern US commemorative design list.

Wow! That's saying something. And I have to agree with you on that as well. I have only been collecting modern commems for the past 15 years or so, and the overall silver dollar coin (taking into consideration BOTH faces) is definitely near the top of my list.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in Omaha for business today and stopped by the Boys Town gift shop to check things out.

They had a display case with the commemorative coins and some U.S. Mint pamphlets, but you can not purchase the coins from the gift shop directly.

Learn More...
United States
42663 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is too bad. I cannot imagine why they would not offer it with a special presentation holder to denote it was purchased there. For an additional premium, of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2163 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2017  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy to report that I came across these PCGS-graded Boys Town silver dollars along with both half dollars. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15254621398...AMEBIDX%3AIT

It was perfect timing too, as I had just sold some vintage Star Wars items to pay for them. Plus, I earned $15 in eBay bucks! Yet another perk of this 4-coin group is that they each have a TrueView image (Secure GOLD Shield Holders), which is exactly what I was looking for. I figured I would have to wait a while before just one showed up, but I got all 4 coins, TrueViewed and all, in one shot. And the price made it a no-brainer for me. I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!

Pictures:

The OGP was also included. All 4 slabs together with the OGP:

I just absolutely LOVE these coins!
Edited by Darth Morgan
05/17/2017 2:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
42663 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7002 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2017  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, those are gorgeous!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05