Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medieval Gros Of Brittany—what's Up With Those Ermines?

First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,910Next Topic Page 3 of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my understanding is that the odd cut-out in the shield was for a lance.

That's really interesting. I don't think I;ve ever seen a shield/coat of arms on a coin shaped like that before. I always figured these heraldic devices were portrayed as they might appear as ornamention on a gate to the city (e.g. the seat of government for a duchy) etc., NOT as they would appear on a shield carried into battle.
Edited by tdziemia
02/16/2019 5:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blanc of Duke John V of Brittany, mintmark D (Dinan)

The legends agree well with the attached drawings of Roberts type 6131, except the coin has DVS instead of DVX on the reverse, and the crosses at 12 o'clock on both sides are somewhat different style than what are depicted.

Listing of John V Blanc types (from Roberts)
Edited by t360
11/27/2021 8:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely patina, nice coin!
Yeah, those are definitely not crosses, nor do they appear to be stars (too asymmetric).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that they are Maltese crosses, like this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course...shame on me for not figuring that out .

And that list of Brittany mints is a reminder of some of the tiny places that served as mints in earlier times. Nantes and Rennes I can understand, but Quimperle? (even Quimper would have made more sense).

I am aware of two other issuers who used an ermine (or similar creature) on their medieval/Renaissance coins (though it's the entire animal):
1. the Duchy of Urbino: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces80516.html
2. Slavonia: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces34611.html
Edited by tdziemia
11/28/2021 10:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking over my French coins, I discovered that this 1661 1/2 ecu minted in Rennes also shows both the ermine (Andre Bourgault, Mint Director's mark) and the croix fourchee (spiked Maltese cross, Engraver Denis Mathias' mark).

Somewhat later, Martial Menisser, Mint Director at Rennes (1666-1672) used the ermine mark,

and at the Nantes mint in Brittany, the ermine mark was also used from time to time.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ermine mint mark on Elizabeth I sixpence of 1572 at 1 o'clock on both obverse and reverse.
Learn More...
United States
23711 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tons of great ermines @t360. Thx for the additions to this thread!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1526-44 Henry VIII Groat (4d), with ermine mink marks at 1 o'clock on the reverse and obscured somewhat by the weak strike at 12 o'clock on the obverse.

I'm Henry the eighth I am
Henry the eighth I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before
And every one was an Henry (Henry)
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1757 Louis XV French ecu, mint mark 9 (Rennes)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1745 French ecu, also minted at Rennes in Brittany
Learn More...
United States
23711 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always glad to see some additional ermines. Maybe I should see if @jbuck would move this thread to the "post your coins with." section of CCF.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed.
I have an another ermine coin on its way that just cleared customs.
International shipments are painfully slow these days.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1538-1574 Armellino from Urbino, Italy
Guidobaldo II Della Rovere

Ermine with tongue extended
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2394 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1484-1488 Francois II, Duchy of Brittany, Blanc à la targe

25mm, mint mark R - Rennes
Obv: + . (Ermine) . FRANCISCVS : BRITONVM : DVX R
Rev: + . (Ermine) . SIT : NOME : DNI . BENEDITVM .
Engraved by Jehan Meschinot
Page 3 of 3   Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,910Next Topic  
First Page | Previous Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: