Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 Indian Head Cent Grade?

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 796Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17910 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given a couple of small issues I'll give it F-12+

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2140 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With today's grading F-15
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71773 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'mon, where's the Liberty on this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2140 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Check RK55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add RK55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
20-25 years ago this would grade vg-8 maybe vg-10...now adays seems like a partial liberty can get you a fine, same as some of the barber series.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Things sure have changed from the Brown & Dunn days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. The feathers, ribbon, hair curls, pearls, ear, and eye say F-15, but LIBERTY and the cheek say VG-10. The shield, knot, ribbons, acorns, and arrows say F-15, but the olive leaves and central oak leaves say F-12.

I think there's more going on here than circulation wear. The pics are too blurry to get a solid feel, but I strongly suspect strike weakness.

There is too much detail to hold this below F-12.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4227 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12991 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
C'mon, where's the Liberty on this?

I'm a little surprised by your comment. you know that you cant just grade by one marker. what we are seeing is a softer obv strike. look at the strike on right side obv denticles and AMERICA

borderline F15
Pillar of the Community
United States
774 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go F-15 here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9200 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2022  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that it is in the F range but as we all know, these low grade coins can easily be unattractive. From the nice even color to the lack of glaring problems it is an attractive coin.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look at that headress sharp and clear, LIBERTY was probably weak from inception and I've seen these as high as VF20 on certain key dates it technically meets F standards, I am at F-15. Good looking album coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin arrived. A nice milk chocolate coin with no glaring issues. Couldn't pass this one up for 5.50.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71773 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice-looking for sure. To me, it's still a VG.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2887 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good grief IGE, you snagged this at an AG price! Nice original coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8050 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely bought !
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 796Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: