Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jefferson Nickel No Date And Lettering

First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,147Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12092 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9894 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes with all above--post-strike damage, likely of a mechanical nature.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9616 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intentional grinding down making it look supper worn, but these have been altered. No mint errors here, just post damage.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2022  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@4Queens What you wan to say with that book? Your coin was grinded and it is finish there. No BOOK will can convince me contrary on this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47324 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2022  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember right, there is a section in the Red Book that explains the minting process.That would help with figuring out errors vs PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys you need to add a few more words to your dictionary besides PMD, sanded, etc. Please
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47324 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you get that info from?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please can you source complete explanation of what you show? Who is the editor of?

Is thin planchet? probably. The coins show after strike interventions. If you understand more or less the thin planchet strike, look at the letters Monticello and five cents, then look at the rim letters which dissipate. This open the question? All the letters on reverse are at the same level and has same dimensions.

I wait for the source and the editor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nickel in the OP doesn't look sanded down, the high points and corners are naturally rubbed down. A sander would keep the corners sharp and the diameter the same, unless someone deliberately sanded the edge which I don't see.

My vote is circulation, believe it or not. Mechanical machinery could've sped up the process but this coin was naturally handled in my opinion.

Either way it is PMD, not struck on a different planchet.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jacrispies: I am 100% with you. we say sanded, very large meaning. Could be by circulation, different abrasive manipulation or also machinery. What is shore do not happened at the Mint facility.

We have to wait the OP with the name of the allegations last done and also the site.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why couldn't someone sand the rim down at a 45 deg angle? Then years of circulation.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 4Queens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm right someone told me about a link I believe was error-ref.com (john1) I'm a big fan of that link is one of the most complete and most detailing links about error coins and silviosi & jacrispies you both should read it too error-ref.com best link ( my opinion )
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3627 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
silviosi & jacrispies you both should read it too error-ref.com best link

thank you told us about this compressive index of errors and varieties. This site is born by the collaboration of many big experts in this field. I know from the begin and many time I spook with Fred and give my point on. This site was never finish complete, very complex to be done. They continuous up-grade when has the best compressible material.

It is the very good start for all beginners in this field, because bring the definition's by kind if they combine with a solid knowleadge of the minting process by years.

Now I want to tell you that the way how you wrote is prejoric regarding me and jacrispies

If I come here to wrote or answer to different topics it is just from my way to be to give to others my opinion and I try always to answer as much is possible in the scientific way of this nice and passionate hobby.

Thank you and good hunting an hope you will build a very nice collection.

PS.: Not necessary I will be 100% right all the time, but in general I am not far.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stand with deliberate damage on the OPs coin...waiting for OP to provide source material...

and ...to 4Queens.

KK
Page 2 of 2   Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,147Next Topic  
First Page
Showing last 15 replies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: