Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,778 / Views: 216,515Next Topic
Page: of 186
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice - lots of detail in the king's hair there.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10527 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- lovely coins!
Learn More...
United States
113515 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Couple of little nuggets for you to peruse.
Lovely little nuggets!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the quality copper/bronze parade continues. You are definitely putting us all to shame! So lets see some more silver provided by me - these lovely coins which are your one's big brothers and sisters!

Meanwhile I finally brought some more coins and here they are. Starting with this 1817 Smaller head Halfcrown of George III.

Despite the obvious cleaning and the bump at 12 o'clock, this is a nice piece - not much wear and safely in the almost VF/VF region. Lots of detail on his bloated majesty with the wreath berries and the shield shines through. That means I have at least one of every George III halfcrown except the 1820.

It also means I have both 1817 halfcrowns, showing an earlier "Bull Head" coin a few pages back on this thread (Coming soon to my British silver thread)

Also this worn and very manky 1889 shilling I paid $25 for, anyone care to guess why?

Clue - it has nothing to do with the Elingamite or any other shipwreck and 1889 overall was a common year for shillings.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
05/27/2022 01:22 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also managed to pick up 2 shillings from the 1840s. Both are decent pieces and were reasonably cheap. And Victoria still actually looked like her portrait when they came out!

1840 Shilling, this is a decent Fine example with even overall wear. I was amazed its not cleaned and looks to be relatively intact.
1840 is a special year being the year New Zealand became a British colony and British coins were made the official currency. Who knows if this piece came out here, or remained in the UK or somewhere else?

1846, not as nice and likely toned/cleaned decades ago. Still its a good coin and I love buying any wreath shillings from before around 1873 that are not worn flat discs.

I would love to get a high grade 1838 or 1839 to see that beautiful first bust with the scroll work on her hair bands!

Any guesses on that manky 1889 shilling yet?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
05/27/2022 01:23 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
69 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That George III halfcrown is a doozy. I'd be very pleasee witht that.

As far as the guesses go, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Unless it had some unusual provenance?
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10527 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions, Princetane!

I imagine your 1889 shilling was expensive for its grade because it's the scarce Small Head variety!
Learn More...
United States
113515 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob got it - good work!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10527 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NumisRob got it - good work!

Mine is even more worn than yours!

Edited by NumisRob
05/27/2022 3:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
113515 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it is - just However your "1889 date" is a bit sharper than mine. I got lucky with a few more motto letters and that is not so great when my condition guide says to be "Fair" the coin should have a full motto visible!

(Americans, British Fair is like G4/VG8, not Fair2).
I would still say NumisRobs and my coins would be aGood3 examples.

Even sadder is my common large head 1889 shilling is a symphony in silver in comparison.

It is amazing what a variety difference can do! I grade this bare British EF or around AU50/53 American.
Edited by Princetane
05/28/2022 03:09 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
69 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a beaut.

Please don't pique my interest in silver...my bank manager will start to have a funny turn.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10527 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2022  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane, your 1889 LH shilling is gorgeous! I love the cameo effect on the reverse!

Mine cannot compete with yours. It's badly scuffed but looks much nicer in hand than in the photos!

This coin has great sentimental value to me as I found it with my metal detector on a local recreation ground in the early 1980s.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3948 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not bad - I think that coin is a lot like my 1846 shilling. I generally find higher grade and shined up English silver before 1910 never comes up well in Photography. I even suspect my 1889 maybe just an impaired proof or polished coin.

It was in that lot of 7 shillings I brought late last year in an auction house and probably cost me around $30.

Kipster, you will find silver is actually quite affordable, especially 1887 Jubilee onwards. It is the gold that costs the big money and I stay away from it. I have one manky half sovereign and its teensy!
Page: of 186 Previous TopicReplies: 2,778 / Views: 216,515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: