Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,039 / Views: 231,938Next Topic
Page: of 203
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As promised I brought 4 coins this week in 2 lots, the first arrived today and gave us 2 interesting shillings.
Nice pair!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
114 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afternoon all,

And now for something a bit different to the usual Georgian bits and bobs from me, something a bit more modern. A 1932 George V penny. Obverse is lovely and pretty much mint lustre on the reverse (photo doesn't do it justice). Filled a little gap in the box.

Edited by Kipster
06/18/2022 08:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great 1932 Penny, congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10920 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4322 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin - the Obverse is stunning!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May I sneak a half crown in among the parade of beautiful copper being posted here lately?

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10920 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, Paralyse!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4322 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, good to see you back Paralyse. I also have a 1707E Anne Halfcrown. Its slightly less worn, but has a nasty gouge on the Queen's mouth!

It's on page 6 of my British coin thread.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
06/19/2022 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both!

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4322 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keeping the Queen Anne theme going. My shilling arrived today as expected.

This is the 4th Anne shilling I had bid on and I only won it at a high price. For some reason her shillings are much harder to get than her halfcrowns. It seems William III and George I shillings fall into my hands, but not Anne. Every time one of her shillings goes up on trade me, a war breaks out!

This is pretty nice, sharp detail, probably Fine or slightly better - but looks like it was cleaned decades ago. A good first shilling of hers.

Much cheaper was this fairly worn 1876 Victorian halfcrown, mainly brought as 1876 is a scarcer date and I don't have one yet - so its upgrading fodder.

Condition is VG or slightly better. Victoria has slight hair detail on the edges, coppery or blackish staining from past. This is typical on coins used in northern New Zealand and Australia, which had warmer and more humid climates than the UK.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
06/19/2022 10:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds!

For the post-Union coins it seems 1709 and 1711 Shillings are relatively available; 1708 less so; 1710 is in my experience harder to find, and 1707 type II (with plumes in angles) is scarce to rare.
Somewhat in contrast to the halfcrowns (except for 1709 E) it seems the Edinburgh shillings are much less commonly encountered.

If you spot the reverse with roses (type IV?) those are 'keepers' even if the date has gone or they're quite badly worn.

Spinks notes that some of the shillings were restruck over existing pre-Union coins, although I haven't found one of those 'in the wild' yet there are a few listed on various sites in the UK.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4322 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow you know more about Queen Anne coins than me!

I just know that its taken me 3 years to get 3 of her coins, 2 halfcrowns and the shilling. Generally the Halfcrowns were easy, but I had bid on at least 4 or 5 other shillings before I won the one I had and that is likely as it was the best of all them and most expensive (The others were all G - VG and cost around $50 - $100, I don't really memorise prices of coins I miss out on!). This one opened at $130 and after a bidding war I got it for $151.75, which is probably more than its worth - especially as you tell me its the commonest date!

At the rate I am going, I should look forward to copping the next Anne coin, sometime next year! I am also of course searching for a pre Union (1702 - 1706) coin of hers as all of mine are post Union.

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An Anne 1707 type II rev. in UK VF grade brought 270 + BP in one Spinks listing I encountered while doing a fast search

I don't have one of her shillings at the moment, only a 3d and half crown, both post-Union, although you've gone and made me want to pick one up for the collection, now.

Her half crowns seem more available than those of William III, whose half crowns go for twice as much again or more, in much lower grades; this stands in opposition to the shillings, Anne's being more expensive between the two for the more common dates.

No expert, me, just a long time collector of many things numismatic, and otherwise. I mainly collect Victorian issues apart from the odd hammered or early milled coin here and there, and some pre-WWII Edward/George silver, and a fair few George III halfpennies, mostly non-regal.

That being said, Edward VII's florin with 'Standing Britannia' is one of my favorite designs of any coin ever. A lovely 1902 matte proof florin with colors keeps catching my eye, though, and I keep having to exercise a tremendous amount of will not to pull the trigger, since paying the mortgage is probably important.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9516 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should also mention that 'common' is a relative term; if 100 pieces were struck and 60 of them are of one date, it may be the most 'common' date of the lot, but there's still only 100 of them to begin with.

A common Anne shilling is still quite a bit less common than a common Anne half crown!

Page: of 203 Replies: 3,039 / Views: 231,938Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: