Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,086 / Views: 233,882Next Topic
Page: of 206
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A recent auction pick-up for my collection of Regency Period silver tokens, this halfcrown from Fazeley in Staffordshire was issued by Peel, Harding, & Co., a major employer in Britain's textile industry at the time, with a workforce of about 15,000 in mills and factories In Staffordshire, Lancashire, and perhaps elsewhere. All the Fazeley tokens feature the Harding family arms.

Listed by both Dalton and Davis as Staffordshire 4, this specimen is a nice EF with scattered golden and olive-green toning. Since Dalton brought all the 1811-1812 silver tokens together in his 1924 catalog, this token has been considered "very rare," which has proven over the last century to be a bare minimum statement for all the halfcrowns: hard-core searchers like me aren't likely to see more than three or four examples on the market in any given year.

This acquisition brings me to seven halfcrowns; yes, only four to go, but those are all pretty much invisible to and unobtainable by mere mortals.
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4377 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This mere mortal is very impressed, not only a scarce half crown token, but what a lovely condition!!

For the rest of you, my 1923 Florin

Its also in that Good Fine bracket, George is a bit stronger. These early 1920s coins are common worn, but they are less common in high grade, they were thrashed to death through to the 1990s (Yes as 10p pieces after 1971).

That coin actually got me seriously collecting British Florins in August 2020 after my Halfcrown list was getting ticked off too quickly.

It is hard to buy high grade pre 1928 florins (I have found one good 1921 one), but I have done well with the 1928 - 1951 era coins, with most at least VF and many UNC. My latest purchase is a 1944 UNC, but the sellers photo coin is in a 2 x 2 and looks bad, so will upload my photo of it when it arrives.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
08/05/2022 11:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous token!!! Nice florin!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
209 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been looking for some more upgrades and saw this one. I've got loads of this design, but I don't recall seeing one that had markings as defined as this.
Previously cleaned or just something these can do in the right (wrong!) environment?

Both sides have similar markings.
I like how it looks, just unsure if it's been tampered with at some point.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4377 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 1928 looks to me like its toning from being in a damp edged environment for several decades, or possibly a very historic cleaning. Otherwise its a very high grade piece.

Toning can be quite nice on such a piece.

Here is my 1928, not quite on your level, but a decent piece.

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
209 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the one it's replacing, so it's a good upgrade.

This design has grown on me as I've got better examples.

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Speaking of florins, I may be wrong, but I think their "predecessors" first appeared among the 1811-1812 silver tokens. These proto-florins got very little exposure, as they were struck only for Attleborough (Norfolk), Peterborough (Northamptonshire), Bath and Frome Sellwood (both in Somersetshire). In practice, however, they would have circulated over wider areas than just those jurisdictions, given the dire shortages of "small change" British commerce was experiencing nationwide at that time. This, I believe, is what makes higher-grade examples so difficult to come across today. The Peterborough 2/- is excessively rare and remains on my want list (for now?), but I do have the other three, presented here.

Attleborough (Norfolk D4), issued 1811 by William Parson & Sons, grocers. Considered very rare. I haven't figured out which allegorical figure is known to hold a fish, but here she is...any thoughts?

Bath (Somerset D16), undated, but 1811-12. Listed Rx are the three co-issuers, who were neighboring shopkeepers: a baker, an auctioneer, and a shoemaker, respectively. Interestingly, while this is the only 2/- token issued in Bath, FIFTEEN types/varieties of the 4/- (or Double Florin!) denomination are known. Those were issued nowhere else in Britain; I'll feature my two specimens in another post.

Frome Sellwood (Somerset D70), 1812. The Willoughbys, brothers and their sons, were prominent citizens in Frome doing business as as grocers, wine merchants, and bankers. Depicted on the obverse is Alfred the Great, the 9th-century King of the West Saxons, who conquered the Vikings and is commemorated and memorialized throughout Somerset.

If anyone out there in the CCF has the Peterborough Florin, please share!

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
209 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are stunning. The Alfred one in particular.

I think I've seen the Peterborough one in a dealer before. Has the Cathedral on it?
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Gainn.

The cathedral is shown on the 18d and 1/- tokens of Peterborough, while the "florin" issued by George Griffin, an innkeeper, features crossed keys encircled by a garter and just legends on the Rx.

I just ran a search of all my usual auction house archives and was surprised to learn that the 2/- piece may be more "within my means" than the Galata/Withers Token Book 1 would suggest. They've got it at 700 in EF 10-12 years ago.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4377 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are amazing, I never knew token florins existed!

I suspect the woman with a fish, it may be a statuette she is holding, I suspect its Minerva godess of wisdom as she holds a olive or sage bush in other hand. Otherwise it could be Nike (Victory) alluding to eventual win in the war against Napoleon?

Although 2 shilling tokens, the name "Florin" and concept of 10 to a is very much an 1840s chartist one based around a desire for decimalisation. The name Florin comes from the Florentine gold coin of the 1200s and probably a 1840s obsession with all things medieval (If you look at those early florins). Whereas those tokens apart from our classical Piscine godess are very modern 1811/12 in their outlook and none allude to calling themselves a "florin".

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree, Princetane: a different branch on the evolutionary tree altogether...at least with respect to denomination names. I was just inspired to post these tokens by all the "real" florins I've been seeing on this thread!

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4377 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thrilled you showed them!

Until I met your collection I always thought the 1811/1813 tokens only went up to shillings, but you have shown me Halfcrowns and now Two shilling pieces. Your collection is incredible. Do you have any of the Double Florins or Crowns? Imagine did they have any half guineas or guineas!

I noticed too, one of your 2/- tokens had the outline of the cruciform shields as well. These had been used on standard silver and gold going back to the 1660s.

The mention of 10 of these tokens to a pound note, may be taken as a decimal one,as by 1811 the French and Americans already had decimal counting systems for their coins and some go ahead British were thinking, why not us?

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1144 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@daltonista, that is an amazing set of tokens you have there!
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you, Princetane and erafjel!

I'll paste in my two 4/- pieces below, but before I do I'll reiterate that Bath in Somersetshire was the only locality that produced any of that denomination.

As for other non-standard denominations in this series, there was a "non-local," or unattributed, 3/4d silver token...that's three shillings and fourpence, not three-quarters of a penny, and one must ask why! I've never even seen one of those, and I've been collecting in this small date range (1811-1820) for close to 40 years.

Only three 5/- silver crowns were struck in the Regency Period token series. These were from Chichester (Sussex), and from Guernsey and the Isle of Man in the Channel Islands. From an affordability standpoint, the Chichester piece is the only crown token I have any hope of ever obtaining for my collection. (Bank tokens don't count in this calculation, apparently, as they were official/regal in nature.)

As for gold tokens, there were only two: the 40/- of Reading in Berkshire and the half-guinea of Sheffield, Yorkshire...see my avatar for a glimpse of the latter.

Now for two of the "double florins" of Bath, Dalton 11 and Dalton 15:

The co-issuers are summed up nicely in TB1: "Samuel Whitchurch was an ironmonger, smith, tinman, brazier and cutler and was in business in a big way. William Dore was hatter, hosier, mercer and draper."

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4377 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are amazing and when they are named after you, I realise I am dealing with a token collecting whale here!

And then I realise you have a GOLD token as your avatar. That makes you supreme emperor of British coins, and I am a mere Princeling.

I love COINS!!!
Page: of 206 Replies: 3,086 / Views: 233,882Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: