Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your United Kingdom (Great Britain) Coin Acquisitions.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,166 / Views: 243,167Next Topic
Page: of 212
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoll78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi all not sure if posted in correct title but please direct me if wrong but I've seen British coins and thought it could be the right place.
Just wanted thoughts on this coin if this is the 1862 small date one penny coin ?!
On the obverse shows something like a blob explosion or something like that going through queen victorias hair. I will upload picture off that too.
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Princetane
10/05/2022 9:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
575 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2022  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's your first upload. it was missing the [ /img ] at the end of the link (without the spaces)

And yes, Welcome :)

I would say it is. The 2 is dropped down out of alignment and spaced wider than the 186's are. The numerals are definitely smaller, like a halfpenny.

Here's another in slightly better condition.
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
10/05/2022 10:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
575 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So while we are waiting for the main feature courtesy of Princetane, here's one I got in the mail today. A 1900 GB Florin in fairly ok condition for a 122 year old coin.

Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its pretty good, cleaned but still a high fine. Such a nice coin and a decent opening act.

Here are these paragons. Bear in mind I paid melt for these and about 5c a coin for the base metal.

1838 groat, very worn but a less common date and my first 1838 dated Victorian coin I have, it was the first year of her coins.

1919 3d - practically UNC

1920 3d - AU

1921 3d - AU all of these have natural shine and not cleaned!

1936 3d - shiny, a bit more wear and tone - EF/near AU
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is very hard to take good photos of tiny coins with a cheap cellphone camera! Here is the rest of these bargains.

1949 practically UNC - not rare but seldom seen or wanted when the average one is VF and costs next to nothing.

1950 - EF,

1951 - Basically UNC - shame there was not a 1952 6d in similar condition or any condition for that matter

1947 Penny, lots of some deep lustre and shine, Probably AU traces of wear - still a very nice piece.

1956 Halfpenny - UNC with original lustre - I mean this was in a bag with worn pennies and Victorian bun pennies that were discs. It's survival was miraculous.

Total cost of all these - $5 and that was mostly for the Groat.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
575 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
5 bucks.... you're joking me!
How on earth did you manage that?
You've been in the time machine again! The condition of most is ..at a loss for words again.
You've squeezed more oohs and ahhhs out of me, that's for sure. Also...the photos you present are pretty dang good.
Tell me, are you using a light source? Is the phone hand held?. I'm m using a Canon camera with stand and 3 light sources and the results are garbage alongside yours so you're doing something right.
Well done with this latest group. Some real gems there. Thanks for sharing. Curtain call.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
782 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some nice coins there princetane bro, nice lustre too
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually think my photography is beyond awful. My cellphone is a Vodafone N5 model from 2017 which cost $89.95.

Some photos are okay, but its a lottery - I photograph them on the tiling on my entrance porch, usually with the door open to allow natural light in. It's north facing, so on sunny days in winter the coins may have shadows. But this time of year, the sun does not reach very far in.

Sometimes I use vertical hold, but this does not work well (the heads shot of the 1920 and 1936 3d coins had this). Any coin over VF usually appears flat like the 1951 6d. I really need a better photography set up or perhaps one of those mini tripods to hold the phone steady as I have slight Parkinsons and are not sure its full level with the ground, resulting is skewed images.

Triggersmob, NumisRob and Dorado give great images I think, but thanks for all the kind comments.

The $5 was a guess, I paid a massive $350 for the whole lot (About 1000 coins and 325 grams of silver).
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11326 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pick-ups, Princetane!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nycstlrr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Great collection.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Princetane - A lot of the Samsung Galaxy phones (at least going back to the S5) have a 'cheese' voice command to take photos, which makes it a lot easier to get steadier photos.
I regret getting rid of my S5 because it did fantastic macro shots.
You can pick them up pretty cheaply these days.

10 bendy tripod from Amazon and you're golden.

Still waiting for my deliveries......
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
575 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2022  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still waiting for my deliveries......

Me too.......
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First one today. Not sure how old the graffiti is but it doesn't look that recent. Doesn't detract from the coin for me.
1816 shilling.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
575 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2022  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Gainn!
Page: of 212 Previous TopicReplies: 3,166 / Views: 243,167Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: