Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women On Banknotes

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 964 / Views: 67,805Next Topic
Page: of 65
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2022  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an Algerian 1941 5 francs banknote, girl with kerchief, veiled woman with fruit at center right, wharf scene behind, and draped head of woman for a watermark.

Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
Valued Member
Israel
78 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three women representing the three main ethnic groups of Laos: Lao Loum, Lao Sung and Lao Theung, 1000 Kip banknote issued by Laos in 1988:

In year 2008, a new 1000 Kip banknote was issued but it was withdrew from circulation after several days probably because it shows real women:
Edited by LaoPhil
06/26/2022 10:02 pm
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weird that the note was pulled because real women were featured. I wonder how that reasoning went.
Valued Member
Israel
78 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Indeed, it is wired, but this is what I read and heard from several sources. In fact, Communist Laos (Lao PDR, 1975-now) never issued real photos of people on its banknotes. To be on the sure side, I added the word "probably" to my post.

This information I received from the late M. Fumagalli, Lao collector and dealer, in 2015:

Quote:
The 1,000 Kip - issue 2008 was released on October 30th 2008 and withdrawn on November 8th 2008 - Issued 298,000 pieces. All have prefix AA while DD is a replacement note and was printed in 110,000 pieces (actual issued quantity is quite lower!).
Prefix AB was printed but never issued although it is found on the market. This banknote is STILL legal tender.
mauriziolaos

What ever be the reason, I think it is a very beautiful banknote.
Edited by LaoPhil
06/26/2022 10:09 pm
Valued Member
Israel
78 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This banknote of 100 Piastre was issued by the "Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" ("Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam") in 1952:

The front of it shows three women, representing Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. IMO, this is the best design ever issued on Lao banknote. I so like it hence I put it as avatar in my Instagram and Facebook accounts.

I had a nice surprise when a young Lao woman contacted me and told me "The Lao woman on your Instagram profile is my grandmother!'. Well, her name is Mrs. Sifone Siackhasone, born on March 3, 1934. She was chosen by the banknote designer to represent Laos. She passed away on October 22, 1997 at age 63 and left us the most beautiful design representing Laos.

Next time I will write about the back of this banknote which also shows a woman.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples and very interesting details, LaoPhil!

to the Community!

Valued Member
Israel
78 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, jbuck, for your welcome!

The back side of the 100 Piastre note I posted above shows other Lao woman:

As a model the designer, probably Marc Leguay, used the photo of his neighbor, Mrs. Kongsy Thammavongsa. This photo was taken by Maurice Bouton and was published in Sud Est Asiatique (N° 2, January 1952):

In year 1957, the independent Kingdom of Laos issued its first set of banknotes. For the 100 Kip banknote, they used the same design of the Lao woman on the back:

The front side shows King Sisavang Vong:

Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting to see the note design in comparison to the source image.
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice banknotes & descriptions LaoPhil, very interesting!
Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a few nice Reichsbanknotes to show off with some gorgeous examples of women on them. I'll start with a red seal 100 Mark Reichsbanknote 1908-Feb-07 P# 33b. Pretty sure it's been in this thread already but I'll have three notes in a row and this note has gorgeous artistry & colouring.

Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up is a Reihe 2 1919-Jun-24 50 Mark German Reichsbanknote with an 'Allegorical ideal woman'.

Valued Member
Canada
131 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Diverdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next is a 21-April-1910 1000 Mark Reichsbanknote; green seal with more allegorical women. Some history:

Printed prior to World War I and used throughout the "War to End All Wars," these German 1,000 Mark Reichsbanknotes have an interesting American connection. The special hemp paper used to create them features a ribbed security feature created in the United States and used for U.S. notes printed prior to 1877! The inventor (J.M Wilcox & Co. of Philadelphia) then sold the process to the Reichsbank of Germany. Another interesting bit of history about Germany's 1910 series is that the red seal notes were printed through the end of the war, and the green seal notes were printed between 1918 and 1922!

Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1743 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This banknote of 100 Piastre was issued by the "Issue Institute of the States of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam" ("Institut d'Émission des États du Cambodge, du Laos et du Vietnam") in 1952:... IMO, this is the best design ever issued on Lao banknote.

- LaoPhil & you're not alone with this opinion. Most of these earlier versions are super popular right now & priced quite high for UNC versions.

Quote:
As a model the designer, probably Marc Leguay, used the photo of his neighbor, Mrs. Kongsy Thammavongsa. This photo was taken by Maurice Bouton and was published in Sud Est Asiatique (N° 2, January 1952):

-Great photos & background info! Very interesting/thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I've got a few nice Reichsbanknotes to show off with some gorgeous examples of women on them. I'll start with a red seal 100 Mark Reichsbanknote 1908-Feb-07 P# 33b.

-I hear you Diverdude as I've been on a German shopping spree lately myself. I gave the 100 Marks to a friend who recently retired.

I also really like that brown 1000 Marks (P-45) you posted but bought a couple other large sized notes plus this P-180 with the "Kreuz-Iris" printing (which has to be seen). These are from 1929-1936 once the Germans got hyperinflation back under control. Still haven't got my scanner working so the link will have to do:
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../GER0180.htm

Some of these early German notes are dark, drab ugly ducklings (IMO) but then there's others that are spectacular, big, gorgeous & intricately produced. It took me a while to warm up to them but now I'm a big fan (& they can still be purchased at fairly reasonable prices though the prices have increased dramatically compared to just a few years ago . unfortunately)
Page: of 65 Previous TopicReplies: 964 / Views: 67,805Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: