Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 Kg Birds Nest, Zoell #e66n Pic's Please Of Your's

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,535Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4350 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt if there are many stages leading to this. It was a deep crack and then chipped out all the way. Maybe they replaced the die after relatively few were struck. If on the edge, it would have been a cud.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense Okie with it being so large I suppose it would or could have broke into many pieces had it kept being used.

I wonder if the piece that broke off is or was retained on another coin for some time or is in the archives of someones collection. Ty cheers.
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an easy coin to find. I have gone through thousands of circulated 1943 coins, and have not seen one.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2022  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be interesting to find if there is a tallied population of this one. Also with it being a hard to find coin would there be a way to factor the rarity of it? Would it make sense to send it out to grade and specify the variety?

As you mentioned SPP about being a hard coin to find, what would you consider a value on such? Now I realize this question falls into
the one above as well.

Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you know, value is not a linear relationship with rarity. It all depends how much someone wants to pay for it. I haven't found one yet myself, but I would rather keep searching than pay anything substantive.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4260 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I would rather keep searching than pay anything substantive.

Pretty much nails it ! This is the story for most if not all
Errors , varieties in the Canadian series .
The only thing scarcer than the coin .a buyer willing
to pay up .
Edited by Pacificoin
05/09/2022 12:03 am
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the story for most if not all Errors , varieties in the Canadian series.

You are using a broad brush here, and it is not entirely true. That depends entirely on the error. I'd pay serious money for a George VI 1c struck on a silver 10c planchet. Same goes for coins double struck in collar.

Varieties, are really driven by those who deem them important enough to be in the PCGS Registry. Once they are there, then there is a market willing to chase them.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3693 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Varieties, are really driven by those who deem them important enough to be in the PCGS Registry. Once they are there, then there is a market willing to chase them.

completely
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1048 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M_d_in_guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies, I get all the info shared and agree, as with all errors and varieties they all have a starting place to generate interest/demand. I've even searched online and other sites and have not even found a pic of another one.

Is there a section in the (or a) Zoell book, written up about this variety?

Ty again for everyone's input here.
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2022  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a section in the (or a) Zoell book, written up about this variety?

Yes, in Zoell's 4th edition (minor varieties supplement) in 1966: E66n ("Bird's Nest" patch between 3 and R ML). Apologies for the quality of the images here, I am limited to the resolution of the original PDF files I have.

There are earlier die states to this one, slight variations:

In Zoell's first book (1960), it was called 74F (hanging 3).

Zoell's 2nd edition (1962) editions it was renumbered as F66c (hanging 3 on maple leaf branch).

Zoell's 3rd edition (1965, minor varieties), it was renumbered as F66n (break on 3 of date to branck (hanging 3)) - with the typo

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
374 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CPC2013 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have come across 1 1943 birds nest coin .

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,535Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: