Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Continuing Thread ~ Post Your Tokens, Medals, Exonumia Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 3,714 / Views: 269,883Next Topic
Page: of 248
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if posting this in the right place, but the mods will move if not.
I relocated your post to the appropriate thread.

Nice acquisition!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
117 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I relocated your post to the appropriate thread.

Cheers Jbuck. Something *completely* different from me for a change
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11089 Posts
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cheers Jbuck. Something *completely* different from me for a change
Going for something different is seldom a bad idea! I am glad I branched out myself. Medals can be just as addictive as coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm off to a big coin show next week and have to unload some beloved pieces so I can buy other coins at the show. Before I list this for sale I want to show off my beautiful "1991 Texas Renaissance Festival Medal in Copper."

I picked up this Ron Landis medal at auction awhile ago. It's a great piece of art with some fun history too (see below). I'm a big fan of his work and was happy to have this one in my collection for awhile.

The medal I have is struck in coper, but it was struck in the wrong collar! Landis made these in copper and silver, but my copper piece says "struck in .999 silver" on the edge. Just as described on his website:

https://www.landisstudios.net/produ...al-in-copper

And here's the info I found on other websites:

"Here's another medal from Ron Landis and his Renaissance Festival Issues. This one from 1991 is a silver issue and tips the scale at an 1 1/2 ounce and is from hand engraved dies struck on a circa 1500 drop hammer press after the one at the Segovia, Spain Museum Mint."

https://www.money.org/forums/exonum...rite-medal/1

And from another website:

"David E. Schenkman wrote in TAMS Journal, Vol.36 No.2, April 1996:

In 1990 Ron Landis and his partner, machinist Joe Rust, designed and built the " Royal Mint" at the Texas Renaissance Festival, near Houston. During the fall of 1991 and 1992 they gave demonstrations of engraving, hammered coining, and sixteenth century style milled coining - from raw material to the final product - at this water wheel powered "mint." Featured in the exhibit was a forty ton drop hammer press which was operated by the public as a hands-on demonstration. Another demonstration was of roller-milled coinage, during which give-away tokens were produced for the spectators. Typical of the medals produced by Landis for the Renaissance Festival is a copper piece depicting Columbus's ship, the Santa Maria, crossing the Atlantic Ocean. The date, 1992, appears in Roman numerals (MCMXCII). Queen Isabella's family crest and the shield of Spain appear on the reverse, along with the inscription TEXAS RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL CELEBRATING THE DISCOVERY 1492-1992. An interesting feature of the medal is the lettered edge which reads STRUCK ON THE KING'S COIN HAMMER." - The Gallery Mint and the Genius of Ron Landis"

PS: like I said, I'm going to list this for sale later but wanted to put this here for posterity.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing the Landis pieces. Was always a fan of his work.
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of new additions, 1938 Methodist Episcopal General conferance and 1901 Cleveland GAR Encampment medals.

Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A recent auction pick-up for my collection of Regency-Period British tokens, this is the silver two shillings (D4) issued in 1811 by the grocers William Parson & Sons in Attleborough, Norfolk.

I've always found it curious that this denomination was issued in only four small areas in 1811-1812 -- Attleborough, Bath, Frome, and Peterborough -- and then disappeared until Victoria's "Godless florins" were struck in 1848. As for this Attleborough piece, both Dalton and Withers rate it as "very rare."

The woman depicted on the reverse is holding some laurel, or perhaps olive, in one hand and a single fish in the other. Could she be the classical Muse of Groceries, inspiring shoppers everywhere? Or is she the allegorical representation of Food Distribution...sort of a humbler version of the Cornucopia of Plenty we see on so many 18th- and 19th-century British tokens?

Your thoughts?

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2380 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful British token!
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2380 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hawaii, 1941, "Remember Pearl Harbor" medal, bronze.

Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My custom set of "1941-Dated Remember Pearl Harbor Medals" at NGC (along with my research findings).

https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=12054
Pillar of the Community
United States
1341 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of all the lovely posts I see here, my favorites are those with an Americana theme.
Thanks Dr.Darryl for posting the link to your story about these medals. I looked and don't het have an example in my collection.

Lovely example NumisEd
Coins were meant to be spent.
Page: of 248 Replies: 3,714 / Views: 269,883Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: