Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Compendium Of Numismatic Displays In Museums Around The World (Evergreen)

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 161 / Views: 16,402Next Topic
Page: of 11
Learn More...
United States
114890 Posts
Learn More...
United States
24247 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2022  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Travel seems to be opening up a smidge and so I've got an update for this thread and the "coins in art" thread. I'm hoping others will be venturing out (and posting here) too!

I recently visited the Tampa (FL) Museum of Art and immediately found "The Classical World" Exhibit. There are items from ancient Greece, Etruria, and Rome, including a somewhat sizeable group of vases. For the numismatist, there were four coins on display, including a Syracuse Decadrachm (412 BC), a pair of Athenian Tets (5th Century BC), and a Lucanian Stater (335-350 BC). Here are my pics of these items, along with an Owl from my own collection for comparison:

Syracuse Decadrachm

Athens Tetradrachm

Lucanian Stater

Athens Tet from my collection:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24247 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2022  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the capital city of Zagreb, Croatia there are multiple areas of interest for the travelling numismatist. Here is one of them.

Lotrscak Tower was built in the mid-13th Century as part of a defense system for the town. Around this time, Bela IV, the Croatian-Hungarian King, was fleeing the Tartars and holed up in Zagreb to escape. As a reward for the citizen's hospitality, he proclaimed Zagreb to be a Free Royal City. This proclamation, or Golden Bull, was issued in 1242 AD and directed the city to complete its fortifications. These were completed some twenty years later and the Lotrscak Tower is the best surviving remnant. The name derives from the Latin term campana latrunculorum (bell of thieves) which refers to the tower bell that would ring at 9 pm in the winter and 10 pm in the summer, immediately prior to the locking of the town gates.

There is a small fee to enter and climb the winding metal staircase, but the views of the city are well worth the sweat. There are plenty of informational placards and displays, all with at least some English. One of these contains detailed close-ups of that original Golden Bull of Bella IV.

The above summary came from information placards at the tower, but there is more info at wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Bull_of_1242
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
114890 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At Banco Industrial on 5 Av. Sur No. 4 Antigua Guatemala, tbey have a very small but excellent numismatic museum featuring coins from the early days of colonization to modern times. For instance, I saw some gorgeous coins from the Central American Republic displayed.
Learn More...
United States
24247 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good input @numised--thanks!

Speaking of small museums, I was a bit underwhelmed by the the Museo Filatelico e Numismatico (Museum of stamp and coin collecting) at the Vatican Museums. Based on the quality of sculpture, paintings, and fresco in the earlier sections and considering the length of time that there has been a pope, I was expecting a pretty comprehensive viewing of papal state coins. Instead, this museum is basically the hallway on your way out. More than half is devoted to stamp collecting, and most of the remaining portion is focused on the modern day proofs. Non-flash photography is permitted and all the signs are in Italian, with occasional English translations.

There was one Byzantine medal plus a few coins of the 18th and 19th Centuries. With that said, one aspect that I really liked was the inclusion of the full size plaster/bronze models from which some master dies to strike coins were made.

6th Century Byzantine medal of Constantinianus:

18th Century Papal State Baiocco:

19th Century Papal State Lira:

Modern day plaster model and resulting coin:

Modern day bronze model and resulting coin:

2014 Vatican Proof set:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Learn More...
United States
114890 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2295 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive coins! Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
778 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nice Vatican set - I didn't know they had a mint...

They don't. The coins of the Vatican are minted at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istit..._dello_Stato
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10440 Posts
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 161 / Views: 16,402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: