Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 7,381 / Views: 526,558Next Topic
Page: of 493
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11345 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this from the Monnaie de Paris shop in Paris on Friday - a 2022 French BU set. The 1- and 2-euro coins have a new 'National' obverse with a stylised tree. Euro nations apparently have the right to change their 'National' obverses only every 20 years - unless they show their Head of State on the coins, in which case they can change the portrait to a new Head of State. So far, France and San Marino are the only Eurozone countries (other than monarchies) to have adopted new 'National' obverse designs:
Edited by NumisRob
09/26/2022 12:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought this from the Monnaie de Paris shop in Paris on Friday - a 2022 French BU set.
Excellent!

Quote:
Euro nations apparently have the right to change their 'National' obverses only every 20 years - unless they show their Head of State on the coins, in which case they can change the portrait to a new Head of State. So far, France and San Marino are the only Eurozone countries to have adopted new 'National' obverse designs:
Very interesting!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12352 Posts
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/32990&whichpage=467#3696819
Quote:
The dark and light spots are shadows and reflection from the holder prongs. I will need to take better photos if/when I crack this one out and place in the Dansco.
And here we have it!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Austria, 25 Schilling, 1970, Franz Lehar Commemorative.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12352 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23031 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1948 Czechoslovakia.
100 Korun -600e anniversaire de l'Université Karlovy

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
United States
9089 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it's not the latest, it was the last coin and one of the only coins my Dad bought me as a gift, he and Mom went on a company trip that took them to Puerto Rico. I got a pretty neat handwritten authentication card with it as well. The coin is from the first mint in the Americas - Santo Domingo a Spanish mint established on the island known as the Domincan Republic today.

click for a much larger view.

Here is a bit of information on these coins:

This Spanish copper coin is known as a cuarto, or four maravedis, and was minted in Santo Domingo on the Spanish-controlled Caribbean island of Hispaniola. Dating c. 1542-56.

The obverse, or primary side of the coin, contains a crowned gothic "Y" flanked by the assayer mark "F". Occasionally, the names of assayers working at different mints during specific times are known and can be determined from marks on the coinage. In this case the individual responsible for ensuring that this coin contained the correct amount or purity of metal was an individual named Francisco Rodriguez. The denomination "4" is also present on the obverse side, and the legend "CAROLUS ET IOANNA", indicating Charles I and Joanna of Castille, rulers of Spain between 1504-1555.

The reverse side of the coin depicts the crowned columns of Hercules flanked by the mint mark "S" and "P" for Santo Domingo del Puerto, with the legend "REGIS ISPANIARUM ET" (Indiarum), King of Spain and the Indies.

I haven't given this coin a bath in the Verdi-Care yet, as I just pulled it out of a box where it's been hiding for almost 3 and half decades thought to be lost or stolen in the burglary that almost wiped me out in the early 1980's. So NOT my most recent acquisition but the most recent one, I re-acquired, just last night.

Still looking for the cool handwritten card (about 6" x 9") which came with the coin and includes nice drawings of this coin both obverse and reverse.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), Civil Wat Token Society (CWTS), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member in good standing, 2˘ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/27/2022 10:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Austria, 25 Schilling, 1970, Franz Lehar Commemorative.

Quote:
1948 Czechoslovakia.100 Korun -600e anniversaire de l'Université Karlovy
Nice examples!
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While it's not the latest, it was the last coin and one of the only coins my Dad bought me as a gift, he and Mom went on a company trip that took them to Puerto Rico. I got a pretty neat handwritten authentication card with it as well. The coin is from the first mint in the Americas - Santo Domingo a Spanish mint established on the island known as the Domincan Republic today.
A priceless treasure.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12352 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12352 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking medal, @Dearborn.
I've got a new coin for my collection of Coins of Composers: a 1992 500 Lire coin featuring Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868).

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All nice additions! Thanks for sharing!
Page: of 493 Replies: 7,381 / Views: 526,558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: