Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Gallery Of Ancient Bronze Weaponry From Western Asia

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 9,821Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
6506 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had the same thought, Paul. I have designed and assembled many shadow box frames through the years, so it's always an option. I may go that route for overflow from my collection when the new case fills.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The daggers with the three prongs are fascinating and I've spent a while wondering why I'd make something like that.
I can see it being useful as a holder for some sort of pommel that has familial identification of who the dagger belongs to.
When that person dies, the insert pommel is passed onto the next most senior member, and a new dagger made for them that fits it (the previous dagger 'dies' with the owner).
The other thing I'm seeing is an almost bayonet type of situation. Use as a dagger most of the time, but twist&lock it onto a notched pole for those moments you need some long-range poky fun.

Pure imagination, but it's always fun to speculate.

Oh, and I saw this that raised at least one eyebrow.

Edited by Gainn
07/27/2022 6:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6506 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some interesting speculation. There are definitely some mysteries associated with this collecting area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6506 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my second Ex-John Piscopo Collection piece. This new acquisition is a small sword, missing its pommel. (My other Ex-Piscopo is a modest bronze dagger blade.)

John Piscopo was a passionate and highly respected collector of ancient weaponry and, in the words of a member of the Ancient Artifacts forum, he was "the father of the Internet antiquities community." Piscopo was 62 years old when he passed away in 2005. The collection of ancient weapons (Iranian, Southeast Asian, and European) that he amassed was one of the most important in the world. As a result, "Ex-Piscopo Collection" is significant provenance. I would say that, other than owning a deaccessioned specimen from a well-known museum collection, "Ex-Piscopo" is the most meaningful provenance one can hope for where ancient weapons are concerned.

Of course, the most distinctive feature of my latest pickup is its penannular (crescent-shaped) guard. (Page 7 of this thread has another edged weapon with a crescent-shaped guard.) Such guards first appeared in western Iran toward the end of the Late Bronze Age. They come in lots of different varieties. They are categorized not just by their shapes, but by their find spots and age (which is sometimes determined by context at the dig sites). According to Babak Rafiei-Alavi in The Biography of a Dagger Type: The Diachronic Transformation of the Daggers with the Crescent-Shaped Guard: "In the Late Bronze Age (1600-1300 BC), the guard has a functional role, it is part of the hilt and holds the blade. In the Iron Age I (1300-1000 BC) the functional guard was in several cases changed to a non-functional and ornamental unit. (During) the Iron Age II (1000-800 BC), this non-functional attribute was mostly transformed back to its functional trait."

Regarding such weapons, Christian Konrad Piller states (in Notes on the So-Called 'Daggers with a Crescent Guard'): "...daggers with such a guard do not form a homogenous type. In fact, there are several subtypes and variants which differ in their production technique and their general outline. Furthermore, there are a lot of variations concerning the shape and the cross-section of the blade and the hilt."

Although the sword I won has some formal similarities to some Iron Age II Iranian swords of comparable size and with similar (though usually skinnier) elliptical penannular guards, it is possibly unique in its details and overall form - particularly in the boxiness of its crescent, and the way the blade's shoulders project slightly outward from the guard. That guard is definitely functional, holding the blade in place. (It isn't just a decorative feature.) So, this sword, while possibly unique, is clearly more akin to penannular edged weaponry of the Iron Age II than to earlier (Late Bronze Age and Iron Age I) examples. I think I can safely (though still broadly) date my sword to early first millennium BC. It was during this period that the crescent guards were occasionally used in combination with "double disk" (a.k.a. "cotton-reel") pommels. My example presumably had a pommel in antiquity, and it may have been the double disk type.

Learn More...
United States
23719 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Bob!, that is a beautiful piece in fantastic condition. Do you have any idea what the pommel night have looked like?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
844 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wow Bob!, that is a beautiful piece in fantastic condition.

@echizento hit the nail square on the head there. What a superbly well preserved blade. The Ex-John Piscopo Collection provenance is the icing on the cake.

Great write-up and photography as always. Congratulations, Bob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6506 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, gents.

Quote:
...any idea what the pommel might have looked like?

No way to know for sure, Ron. But many others of this period (Iron Age II in Iran) had variants of "double disk" (a.k.a. "cotton reel" pommels), like the following.

Edited by Bob L
09/25/2022 09:03 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2641 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an excellent addition Bob!
Wonderful condition, beautiful patina and sound provenance.
Love the penannular guard shape and can see from your professional photos that there still are some grip lines left on the handle....Congrats on a cool piece Bob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6506 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Paul.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 9,821Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: