Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Comparison Of Whitman, Littleton And Dansco Albums

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 11,747Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Check Billie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I have recently dusted off my Dansco Morgan silver dollar albums, I do notice that the sheer weight of the coins is causing the pages to come apart.
I recently bought a Littleton to house my franklins in and even with the minuses the littletons are definitely more heavy duty.
So if you view your coins often, especially the heavier larger ones Littleton may be the way to go.

Just a note on scotch tape, it is very damaging to paper and coins over the long term, I would say Never put it near your collectables.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As I have recently dusted off my Dansco Morgan silver dollar albums, I do notice that the sheer weight of the coins is causing the pages to come apart.
My Ike album has nine coins per page in a four page album, while the Morgan albums have three pages with twelve coins each. Same number of coins, but the Ike pages do less work with the weight being spread over four of them (and weighing less than the 90% silver Morgan dollars). Not sure why Dansco did that.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FS Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One point in this thread re coin albums that I don't see discussed is whether the paper material for all three brands is the same. What does "archival quality" mean in this context? Currently I keep most of my collection in plastic snap-together 2x2 holders. My silver coins have been in them for decades and there has been virtually no toning. If I were to put red Lincoln cents into one of these albums, would the paper (i.e., any acid in the paper) cause the cents to brown quicker than the plastic holders?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5368 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One point in this thread re coin albums that I don't see discussed is whether the paper material for all three brands is the same. What does "archival quality" mean in this context? Currently I keep most of my collection in plastic snap-together 2x2 holders. My silver coins have been in them for decades and there has been virtually no toning. If I were to put red Lincoln cents into one of these albums, would the paper (i.e., any acid in the paper) cause the cents to brown quicker than the plastic holders?

I can't say, but I've had coins in Whitman folders since I was 7 and they look exactly the same as when I put them into the album.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got my Dansco Statehood Quarters (date set) album in the mail today and started to move quarters from the Whiteman album this evening.
To my surprise, some of the quarters in the Whitman album had started to develop toning. Sometimes on the fields, sometimes on the circumferences of the quarters. Note that the coins were only sitting in their holes for about a year or two.
Suffice to say that I am very happy (and relieved) about making the move. But disappointed by the long-term quality of the Whiteman albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8412 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins also tarnish in the Dansco folders. Anytime there is a substance which can absorb water (humidity) in contact with your coins, you will get tarnish.

Storing the album in an airtight way and including a desiccant is likely the only thing that will stop this.

This is why I have moved all my coins with luster to airtight capsules (slabs also will let coins tarnish). They are more of a pain to store, but they will not tarnish the coin (and I still use a dessicant).

I only have one set of MS coins, the Kennedy halves. These are in Air Tight capsules, and I splurged for the EnCap albums made to hold those capsules.

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5368 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numised, while I can't 100% say it's a Whitman issue, the latest batch of Whitman albums haven't wowed me much, I still believe your issue is more a storage issue than a Whitman issue. I have coins in Whitman folders for over 40 years and they look the same as when I put then in.
Edited by hfjacinto
08/10/2022 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have coins in Whitman folders for over 40 years and they look the same as when I put then in.

Maybe the quality of those folders is much better than of the more contemporary albums?
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
382 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father put a set of spare australian bronze pennies into Whitman albums in the 70's and 80's. One of the coins toned up on the hidden obverse face but the other 60 odd coins were unaffected. Perhaps a moisture issue, but they have all come out of that environment for now until I can give them a new home.

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That toning is pretty nice, actually.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albums are not air tight, so they can be infiltrated by the storage environment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5368 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that is nice toning. I have seen that type of toning before. When copper coins are dipped in MS70 some will tone like that. I have 3 Lincoln cents with a vivid blue obverse, which I believe means they were dipped before I owned them.
Edited by hfjacinto
08/11/2022 09:27 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 58 / Views: 11,747Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: