Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Sixth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,695 / Views: 280,522Next Topic
Page: of 447
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
County of Flanders, 1474 briquet (1 Stuiver), Bruges mint. Earlier than this I have far more gaps than coins

Learn More...
United States
114779 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Earlier than this I have far more gaps than coins
Hopefully others can fill in. We got to 1461 before, we can do it again!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4099 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we should just end it, these coins need a degree in ancient scripts to even read the date!

I know that one guy called Photicus or something had a lot of medieval dated coins disappeared around 2 years ago.

Its interesting, but its mainly 1 or 2 types of coin only. You have seen one Briquette, you have seen them all.

I love COINS!!!
Edited by Princetane
06/25/2022 8:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You won't have to see any more ... 1474 was the first year they were struck
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2022  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one @tdz. Here is mine:

These two examples both have particularly clear dates.

To your point @prince, that was their numista name. Over here at CCF it was @pepactonius.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
114779 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You won't have to see any more ... 1474 was the first year they were struck
Learn More...
United States
114779 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes! I forgot that 1473 is a sticking point without pepactonius participating.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3962 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yikes! I forgot that 1473 is a sticking point without pepactonius participating.
IIRC Spence had mentioned getting one of those back when we were stuck at 1491 (just under a year ago apparently).

Current (as of seven months ago) list of upcoming sticking points, courtesy of this thread: 1460, 1453, 1452, 1435, 1432, 1430, 1425, 1424, 1418, 1416, 1415, 1408, 1406, and then 1402 starts a run of four gaps in a row followed by a badly covered region.
(As noted in the linked post, a few other dates, especially pre-1430, might actually be gaps because the relevant coins weren't actually narrowly dated; I hadn't exhaustively checked, though if/when we get stuck at 1460 again I'll probably try to figure it out more precisely.)
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spence had mentioned getting one of those

Yes true. I need a day or two before I can post a pic though. Sorry to slow down the thread.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
114779 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes true. I need a day or two before I can post a pic though. Sorry to slow down the thread.
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2022  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Achter from the Austrian Duchy of Styria. It was struck at Graz with the date of 1473 visible on the reverse from nine to eleven o'clock. Both the numbers 4 and 7 are archaic forms. I have attributed it as Levinson IV-29.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5470 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on adding that to your collection!

This one might be a bit shaky for 1472, but I think spence will be able to move us forward, so here goes.
Republic of Venice, lira of 20 soldi of Niccolo Tron. Tron was Doge of Venice from the end of 1471 until his death in July 1473. In 1472 he instituted a coinage reform which included the issue of the largest silver coin yet produced for circulation in Venice (6.48 g.), and the first Venetian coin dominated by a ducal portrait (also among the first "testons" struck in Europe). He died in July 1473.
The seller of this coin attributed it as "no date (1472)", but most auction houses call it as 1472-1473. If the striking began in August or later in 1472, it would meet our criteria anyhow.

Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes weighing in at 6.5 g, that thing is a silver hockey puck @tdz!

It is inspiring me to post this silver Tanka dated AH 877 (1472 to 1473 AD). It comes from the former Juanpur Sultanate in India and weighs 9.6 g. I can post my dated coin from 1472 AD either later tonight or tomorrow am.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24188 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Stuiver was minted in the Netherlands City of Deventer and is dated 1472 AD. As we progress through the 15th Century, we will see the use of Roman Numerals more and more for the dates, This is attributed as Levinson III-58.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
114779 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is my Achter from the Austrian Duchy of Styria. It was struck at Graz with the date of 1473 visible on the reverse from nine to eleven o'clock. Both the numbers 4 and 7 are archaic forms. I have attributed it as Levinson IV-29.
Outstanding!
Page: of 447 Previous TopicReplies: 6,695 / Views: 280,522Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: