Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Princetane's Growing Collection Of British Coins

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 5,934Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3328 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2021  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I think he does - most of his stuff is second hand goods and he sells coins as a side hustle only. Also deals in stamps and plenty of bric a brac and chintzy things.

I have seen Wedgewood, Toby Jugs etc on his page on Trade Me.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3328 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last 2 weeks has brought in some fantastic new shillings and pushed the boundaries historically!

First we have the 1594/96 Elizabethan shilling - mm Woolpack and this is my first and so far, only 16th century coin.

This ancient and worn beauty is hammered and is almost the size of a halfcrown but 1/3 as thick. I just love its primitiveness and how it comes from such a distant era.

The next few are really historic too. Starting with James 11 my 2nd coin of his, the first being that halfcrown.

This is a fabulous 1st year coin of his reign and it was actually the year he became king (Charles died in March). Again worn, but enough survives to show you what it is.

Moving just ahead 38 years, we leave absolutist Stuart monarchy and meet the half pied capitalistic Georgian era with its Prime ministers and gin craze.
This 1723 shilling is very nice and shows the SSC, South Seas Company a bubble that burst in 1720, yet they provided silver in 1723 dated coins and managed to prop up the bank of England until 1857!!!

It's my first King George I coin!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3328 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More shillings included a high VF 1888/87 coin of our favourite and easiest to get monarch here - Her royal she is not amusedness!

These late 19th century machine regulated pieces of empire seem far removed from the renaissance era slabs of the past. This one has nice toning too.

The 1905 difficulty trio is topped off with this shilling, much more scarce than the Florin and almost as rare as the halfcrown, this middle grade piece cost a bit. A mintage of just 450k, was the lowest of the 1900s.

This coin is about the best my budget will extend to, and it makes me immensely happy. I love scarce coins. Like Prince said that people only dug Purple Rain because its a hit, many collectors only dig 1905 big silver coins as they are rare.

Finally 2 well above average pieces topped off this huge buy in, compared to the cream before, these too were cherries on top - but serve as collectible pieces given many collectors go to town with the old and rare stuff, but are happy to have "average" examples of these later coins.

This shilling is even better than the 1932 and has a nice tone, it looks dull, but up close - try and find the wear this thing is really sharp.

This one is so mint fresh, you could be fooled thinking its Nov 1955 and not Nov 2021 - imagine how exciting finding that fresh coin in your change was back in the day!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3328 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the last 4 coins were bought last week and came today Tuesday November 16th.

A 1720 shilling that joins my 1723 for similar examples of the design, this has the plumes and roses suggesting the silver was provided by the Western English mines of the Pit and Sea Coale(sic - medieval style english of the time) company. It looks like these dudes provided the silver on my 1731 Halfcrown back on Page 5 as well.

More Georgian cream came with this better than average 1758 shilling. This was the last regular (I say that as there was the scarce 1763 Northumberland shilling - mainly as the Duke of that place melted some silver to make them) and the 1787 one off issue until 1816. Most of these got trashed in the interim.

To give you some context, that is like us still using coins from 1963 now and none since issued!

Also a very nice high grade 1940 English style shilling - the black wear was not as bad in the photo.

And another first, my first William and Mary coin - a decent and wornish Halfcrown. It features the scarce second shield bust.

The shield thing did not fly and by 1691 they were back to the quatered shields design that held on until 1787 and then rehashed in the Victorian Jubilee and early KGV eras.

These pre 1707 coins were English ones, at the time this half crown came out, William and Mary had only subdued the English, most of Scotland and Ireland was rallying behind James the Second and not until 1746 was this Jacobism finally suppressed.

In 1689 you would have likely used Merks in Scotland (Their halfcrowns were 30 shillings, not 30 pence!) and Irish were using halfcrowns made out of melted guns!
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 96 / Views: 5,934Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: