Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Daniel Carr Fantasy Coin/Token If You Have One.

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 165 / Views: 13,447Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing, he did the Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico for National Collectors Mint. More here: http://www.moonlightmint.com/other.htm
I'm not too sure about the Delaware piece though, are those initials above the R in dollar?

Pillar of the Community
United States
533 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2022  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JDRMCB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are those initials above the R in dollar?

Nah, just a part of the design.

Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2022  06:34 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another proof 09 ASE only a little different from the others.

I actually thought this might have been a counterfeit, I didn't see a DC mint mark and it didn't really look like the others I've seen.

I sent some images to Dan for his unauthorized copies file, he corrected me by telling me it was not an unauthorized copy at all but a Die pair 01 and was 1 of 16 prototypes that were never released, that somehow got mixed in with a distributors order of pieces with the DC mint mark.

After learning this I went ahead and bought it, when it arrives, I'll send it to ANACS and have it labeled as such..
Have a good day everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I sent some images to Dan for his unauthorized copies file, he corrected me by telling me it was not an unauthorized copy at all but a Die pair 01 and was 1 of 16 prototypes that were never released, that somehow got mixed in with a distributors order of pieces with the DC mint mark....

Congrats on a great find. A great bonus.

I don't own any of the DC coins but love the ones he makes.
IMHO, they really are pieces of art.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups.
We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Learn More...
United States
116391 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8267 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2022  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ChoppedTriumphs: Congrats! Fortuitous find!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  03:10 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1964 D Peace dollar (Die pair 9) the one that started me down the Moonlight Mint rabbit hole!

"1964-D" over-strikes using Die Pairs 1 through 6 were produced prior to 2011. In 2014 "1965-D" (Die Pair 7) over-strikes were produced. No photographs of 1964 Peace dollars were known to exist at that time, so the style of the "64" date digits on those over-strikes were modeled after the 1964 Kennedy half dollars. Later in 2011 it came to light that a supposed photo of a genuine original 1964-D Peace dollar had previously been published in "The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia" (1992 edition, page 709) by John W. Highfill. The photo caption credited the source as Bob Wilhite of Numismatic News.

However, in late 2019 an image of an original U.S. Mint coin die for the 1964 Peace dollar obverse surfaced. That photo shows exactly what the original 1964 Peace dollars would have looked like. Speculation over the years generally contended that Frank Gasparro (or some other US Mint employee in 1964-1965) would have re-sculpted the entire coin and that would result in differences between the 1964 mintage and the prior issues of 1921-1935. After reviewing the newly-obtained US Mint photo of the 1964 Peace dollar die it is apparent that (except for the "64" of the date) the obverse was NOT re-sculpted. In fact, it is an exact match to the previous (most recent) sculpt of 1934-1935.

The 1922-1928 Peace dollar obverse has a relatively large triangular dot between "GOD" and "WE", and the diagonal leg of the "R" in TRUST is somewhat curved. For 1934-1935 the dot is smaller and round, and the diagonal leg on the "R" is straighter. It is also apparent that the Bob Wilhite photo is actually of a 1934 coin with the "3" retouched to look like a "6". The "4" in the date of the Wilhite photo is an exact match for a 1934 coin with the horizontal crossbar of the "4" being about half way up. The US Mint photo of the original die shows the crossbar of the "4" being a little less than half way up. The US Mint photo also shows that the "6" in the date has an upper arc that extends farther to the right than any other published images.

It appears that there is no corresponding imagery of a 1964 Peace reverse. But based on the fact that the obverse was directly based on the 1934-1935 version, it is reasonable to assume that the 1964 reverse would have also been directly based on the reverse of 1934-1935. Some 1935-S Peace dollars have an extra 4th ray below "ONE". Other coins of this period (1934, 1934-D, 1934-S, 1935, and most 1935-S) do not have the 4th ray. It is unknown if the original 1964 Peace dollars had the 4th ray or not. Over-strike Die Pairs 1 through 7 all have the 4th ray. Die Pairs 8 and 9 do not, so that provides an easy way to differentiate them. Die Pairs 8 and 9 over-strikes also have "64" date digits which are a match to the US Mint die photo, unlike previous over-strikes.

The quality of the engraving of Die Pair 8 was not fully satisfactory, and this die pair also had excessive bead-blasting which diminished the clarity of the over-strikes. Die Pair 8 was used to produce a total of 50 over-strikes. Die pair 8 is low relief (about 0.015") on both sides.

Die Pair 9 was created to correct the deficiencies of Die Pair 8. Original Peace dollars of 1921 have a high relief obverse (about 0.030") and a low relief reverse (about 0.015"). Except for a few prototype Peace dollars of 1922, all others from 1922-1935 have low relief (about 0.015") on both sides. Die pair 9 over-strikes have medium relief (about 0.020") on both sides. This provides better sculptural clarity without being obviously higher than normal.

Enjoy
(Text from the Moonlight Mint)
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
08/28/2022 03:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8267 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ChoppedTriumphs: I applaud your dedication to the task and your diligence in finding/adding new Carr pieces to your collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
116391 Posts
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  03:09 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!

"1915 Mercury Dime- Die Pair #1"

The first overstrike was done in May of 2016 over Winged Liberty Head dimes of 1916-1945.

Learn More...
United States
116391 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25279 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such great looking items.
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2022  04:44 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2018 Clark Gruber & Company "40 Dollar" Winged Saint-Gaudens 1oz. Silver

Augustus Saint-Gaudens' original sketch for his iconic Double Eagle design featured a Winged Liberty figure holding a shield. Using as much of the sculpture as possible from an actual coin, the relief was increased and wings and shield were added by Daniel Carr. This concept shows what the original version might have looked like if carried to fruition.

The firm of Clark Gruber & Co. established operations in Denver during the Colorado Gold Rush. Beginning in 1860, Clark Gruber began converting miner's gold into coins which were readily accepted and circulated locally in the Denver area and beyond. The firm was so well-respected that the US Government bought them out in the mid-1860s, first running the operation as an assay office and then eventually converting it into the Denver Mint. In an ironic twist, in 2001 the Denver Mint sold one of their surplus Grabener coin presses which became a core asset of Moonlight Mint in 2008, and now a reanimated Clark Gruber & Company. Clark Gruber coins are today highly-prized by collectors for their rarity and history. The tradition of Clark Gruber continues on. Concept, design, sculpting, engraving, and minting by Daniel Carr and Clark Gruber & Co. Struck using a US Denver Mint surplus coin press.

As of August 2013, Moonlight Mint is also officially doing business in the state of Colorado under the registered name "Clark Gruber & Company". The internet domains "Clark-Gruber.com" and "ClarkGruber.com" now point to https://www.MoonlightMint.com.

NOTE: "Fourty" is an old-time spelling, considered by some to be incorrect today, but widely used years ago.

Size: 39mm
Composition: 999 silver
Weight: 1.0 troy oz
Edge: Reeded
Finish: Proof-like
(Text from the Moonlight Mint)
Enjoy
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
09/10/2022 04:47 am
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2022  05:28 am  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems showed us the 40% silver '75, here's the "1975" Eisenhower fantasy issue, Copper-Nickel Clad, Eagle Reverse version.

The US Mint produced Eisenhower dollars from 1971 to 1978. Although Frank Gasparro prepared a galvano model dated "1970", no coins with "1970" or "1975" dates were ever produced.

Enjoy
Learn More...
United States
116391 Posts
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 165 / Views: 13,447Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: