Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V3.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,010 / Views: 42,251Next Topic
Page: of 68
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great work so far; always nice to see an early English Penny.

Here is my sole contribution for this decade, a Chinese cast cash of the Northern Sung Dynasty. It was issued during the second reign of Emperor Che Tsung and can be dated to the range of 1094 to 1097 AD. I have attributed it as Hartill 16.292.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot one of the types.

This is a 1095-1116 Hungarian Denar under King Coloman;Huszar 33,Unger 27,Rethy I-41,CAC Vol. I/11.3. This is one of 2 sigla varieties I have out of 42.

Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok very good. Let's have last call on this decade so that we can drop back to the 1080s starting in the morning.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes the week flew right by and I didn't get a chance to post anything from the 1080s, so will get us started right now.

Here is a Denier of the French Lordship of Bearn that is datable to the broad range of 1080 to 1250 AD. The obv inscription is +ONOR FORCAS surrounding PAX and the rev inscription is something like CENTVLLO COTE. I have attributed it as Roberts 4181 and Duplessy 1241. I recognize that I really need to take better pics of this coin.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2609 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harsha 1089-1101 AD (1st Lohara dynasty)
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 18mm (6.23gr)
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated facing in half lotus position, with Nagari legend 'Ha' to left 'rsharaja' to right
Reverse- King standing facing and sacrificing at altar holding trident, with Nagari legend 'Deva' bottom
right.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again I have a sister to your coin, @Spence.

Viscounty of Béarn 1080-1250, denier, minted in Morlaas. Silver, 1.1 g, 19 mm. Duplessy 1241, Roberts 4181.

Obverse inscription: ONOR FORCAS, in center PAX.
Reverse inscription: CENTVLLO COME (ME ligatured).

This is the first type of coin minted in Béarn and it became immobilized for several centuries. The reverse inscription ("Count Centullo") likely refers to Centullo IV (1012-58) and/or Centullo V (1058-90). The meaning of the obverse inscription is not as clear. ONOR FORCAS could mean "privilege of the castle" on the local language, referring to the minting rights held by the castle's count. PAX ("peace") could be a reference to the peace upheld (forcibly if necessary) by the count in his viscounty. There are other interpretations as well.
Edited by erafjel
08/20/2022 06:12 am
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice @era and thank you for clarifying the history and inscriptions! Also, thx for the post @paul.

Here is another Cast Cash from the Northern Song Dynasty. This one was issued by Emperor Zhe Zong in the date range 1086 to 1093 AD. I have attributed it as Hartill 16.275. Again, apologies for the substandard pics.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything else for this decade? Let's have a last call now with a plan to drop back to the decade of the 1070s starting tomorrow. Thx.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am very sparse with only 5 coins in the pre 1100's and only one in this time period and it will not move the thread.

1077-95 Hungarian Denar under King Ladislaus I;Huszar 27,Unger 22,REthy I-33,CAC Vol. I/10.8/b2.1/14. It has a sigla of 2 small wedges at about 7:00 and is one sigla variety out of 39.

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuamNumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great contributions! I hope to see some more, but in the meanwhile, here is my last coin to post for this decade.

This is a Dinero from the Spanish Kingdom of Aragon that is datable to the time period 1109 to 1126 AD. It was minted at Toledo. The inscriptions are ANFVS REX and TOLETA. I have attributed it as C&C 919.

@Spence - I have a very similar coin that I recently posted about in another thread here: http://goccf.com/t/429613

Would you be willing to have a look at my thread and share your thoughts about this coin and my observations of it? I would be very grateful for the input.
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep @quin, I just replied.

@edd, no prob--glad to have the contribution even if it won't move us back.

I have a pair of Cast Cash from the Northern Song Dynasty (Emperor Sung Shun Tsung). They both can be dated to the range 1078 to 1085 AD. The attribution on the first one is Hartill 16.210 while the attribution on the second one is Hartill 16.211.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2022  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
County of Melgueil 1076-1316, denier. Billon, 1.0 g, 18 mm. Duplessy 1578, Roberts 4336.

Obv: Uncertain what is depicted - a cross made up of two bishop's mitres, some say.
Rev: Four pellets (possibly a highly degenerated immobilization of a Carolingian coin monogram for the Frankish king Odo).

A very wide time span on this immobilized denier which looked pretty much like this for about 250 years. The prototype is believed to be a denier by Raymond I of Narbonne, minted around 1000. The immobilized coin type, also called a melgorien, had widespread use in southern France in the 12th-13th centuries.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
486 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A very wide time span on this immobilized denier which looked pretty much like this for about 250 years.

Do some of these immobilised deniers have more precise dates based on die studies?

With the 'immobilised' English coins (Henry II-Henry III, Edward I-III), the experts seem to have been able to break them down to the nearest 4 or 5 years based on whether the E is pointed or the crown is a bit crooked.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1142 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2022  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do some of these immobilised deniers have more precise dates based on die studies?

Not that I am aware of (not that I have read everything written about the melgoriens ). Minting was intermittent, so it ought to be possible to identify differences between emissions.
Learn More...
United States
24803 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2022  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last call for the 1070s! Starting tomorrow morning let's drop back to the decade of the 1060s.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz
Page: of 68 Previous TopicReplies: 1,010 / Views: 42,251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: