Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Pictures Of Low Mintage Coins In Terrible Condition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 95 / Views: 4,957Next Topic
Page: of 7
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
normally sells for around £15 to £20 in the UK

Ahh, cool. Thanks so much for the information!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10346 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we ought to move this topic to a different sectiion as we are all adding more and more non-Australasian coins!

mrwhatsit - at least it's still an 1877 cent!

Here's an example from my collection. Before 1860 the French silver 2-franc coin seems to have been minted as something of an afterthought. Only once, in the first year of issue (1808) did the mintage exceed one million at the Paris Mint, and branch mint specimens seldom exceeded 100,000. Here is my 1817-Q (Perpignan mint) 2 francs of King Louis XVIII (mintage 46,891)...

Princetane - I suppose Jean François Langlois may have brought this coin to Akaroa in the 19th century...
Edited by NumisRob
01/25/2022 08:46 am
Learn More...
United States
112316 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminder:

This topic is for Australia, New Zealand, and South Pacific (Oceania) Coins only!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2022  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh thats why, thanks jbuck, I thought it was key date/low mintage coins from all over the world including our country
Australia
27 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinanthebarb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another lower mintage Australian pre-decimal coin in bad condition from my collection.

A 1921 star above date shilling.

This coin has been harshly cleaned at some point, and has been worn down to good condition.

With the silver price rise in 1920, Australia considered changing the silver purity of our coins to 50% silver, instead of the 92.5% silver that Australia (and other British colonies) had made their coins out of for decades.

These new dies were prepared with a star above the date to indicate these coins had a lower silver percentage.

When it came time to mint these coins, the silver price had dropped, and it was unnecessary for them to mint the silver coins in 50% silver, and instead made them in sterling silver instead.
These coins are very scarce to find above VF, with examples selling for hundreds of dollars in these grades.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3836 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree its cleaned, but its far from the worst we see of that type.

Happy Australia Day everyone!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3846 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  02:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Happy Australia Day everyone!

Thank you again. :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,800 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

interesting re the 1932 florin being one of the scarcest.

I've always thought reasonable quality 1919 and 1921 florins could be in that catagory and think the two florins might be worth more.
Learn More...
United States
112316 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's another lower mintage Australian pre-decimal coin in bad condition from my collection. A 1921 star above date shilling.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3836 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Squaremeal - interesting point, always thought the 1932 was the scarcest in the lower grades, but looking at prices, many of the pre 1925 coins seem much more expensive and scarce in the higher grades (EF and up) whereas an EF 1932 is reasonable as people knew they were rare and would hold on to them.

I am sure 1914H and 1915H along with the 2 dates you specify must be incredibly rare in high grade, but the lower grade peices are much more common in low (VG and down) and mid (F - gVF) grades.

I mean my almost fine 1921 cost me just $30, but my barely fine 1932 cost $500.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
751 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
interesting re the 1932 florin being one of the scarcest.

Yes,its one of the few Coins that trades to,or above,its catalogue value worldwide.
Hard to get a reasonable one under $200,better grades are in the hundreds of dollars.
Valued Member
Australia
422 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally found my first 2016 change-over $1 for the year only for it to be in this sad state. Mintage 560,000.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3836 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Princetane - I suppose Jean François Langlois may have brought this coin to Akaroa in the 19th century...

Its possible as French coinage was legal tender, despite an edict in 1840 Making British sterling coinage the only coinage in NZ, they accepted it was in such short supply foreign coins were legalised and Governor Fitzroy in 1844 drew a schedule of foreign coins and their value in sterling. I think French francs were at 10 or 11d each.

Foreign coins disappeared in the 1880s with the reliable arrival of Imperial coins, but were tolerated through to the 1870s here, although NumisRobs' 2 Franc coin may have not been here, it was allowed to have been before 1898.

JBuck, I respect the rules, but before 1910 in Australia and before 1935 in New Zealand, British coins were used and tolerated after this time. Until 1898 when a law was passed banning foreign coins and tradesmens tokens, all this stuff could circulate.

Hence why I think any European or Hispanic coins (Mostly Mexican and Spanish dollars, Portuguese Johannas, Peruvian sols and Chilean Pesos, Francs, Guilders and Lira along with American coins) should be tolerated before 1898.
Australia
29 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, newbie here from Encounter Bay SA with my first post. Myself and siblings inherited my fathers collection of coins, and in an album with almost all of the possibilities inside....was this treasure.......

coins struck approx. 15,000

oh well... it is better than a blank spot. ttkoo
Edited by ttkoo
03/19/2022 06:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
751 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2022  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

People still buy them in that,or worse,condition.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 95 / Views: 4,957Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: