Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Two Cents On These Two Cents? (1988 And ?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 381Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  11:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oheyitsmikeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Two interesting finds that I've never seen before anywhere online or in person maybe one of you gurus can shed some light on these puppies .

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57330 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first images are showing die rolling lines. They are when the stock was being rolled they zinc had these lines on the stock material When they coin is struck it doesn't remove these lines:

Note on the off center cent, you can see the lines on the un-struck area and also weaker on the struck area. As the coin ages and the BU appearance goes away, you see these lines stronger for a time. Then eventually on the tops of devices these will eventually wear off the coin. Your coin is still showing them. Not a premium for the coin though, just an explanation of what they are.

On the reverse images from the left planter to the 'E' on ONE, that is called a linear plating bubble. Not a premium for the coin, again just an explanation. of what it is. It has trapped gas under the plating and can be flattened with a toothpick.

On the reverse of your coin it looks like between the arc of the two planters a hint of it going to the ONE CENT area. That area is most often affected with die clashes. Sometimes they are polished off the die. But on your coin it appears to be an affect called PIDT.

Again not a premium for the coin, just an explanation of what is going on. This is caused breakdown from alteration by polishing. But there is no premium for these as they are just a die event. Something that will appear on all coins struck and can affect as much as half of the coins struck with that die. So there is not premium for this. This information is part of your train for searching coins. Knowing that is, allows you to move onto the next coin. Happy searching with you new information as to what your are seeing on your coins in future searches, that allow you to just move on.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/19/2021 11:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44602 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please tell us your question and what you are seeing. Also please properly crop photos before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2021  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oheyitsmikeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't quite know .. I just wanted to know if they were anything worthwhile. the 2nd picture of the reverse looks like the building is literally melting in person the photos do no justice unfortunately
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7339 Posts
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oheyitsmikeb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone care to give a grade for the first coin the 88?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 381Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: