Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1971-S Proof Cent With Facial Lines, Re-Engraved Or Part Of Design?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 770Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found a 1971-S cent with these marks going through some sets. I do believe this is ODV-028, reengraved master die.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1216 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just found a 1971-S cent with these marks going through some sets. I do believe this is ODV-028, reengraved master die.
Could be. All of the high res pics I found in various places online looked extremely similar, maybe just varying die states.

Up to this point, the only thing I could find showing this on the web were proofs but did find a business strike that shows it. https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...s-1c-rb/2946, and it is the ODV-028. The link I provided did not bring up the coin I wanted to show, it's the rainbow toned coin off to the right at the top. I thought what was going on in the beard was limited to proofs but obviously not.
Tanman, is yours a business strike? I know you said yours was in a set but was not sure if they had business strike "S" sets too.
-makecents-
Edited by -makecents-
12/02/2021 08:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3676 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just went through a bunch of proof sets, found two of these in the '71 proof sets here.

VarietyVista does note ODV-028 as being known on proof and BS, though they have it marked as Rare and Ex. Rare (depending on RDV) on the BS.

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b%20L...arieties.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked the 2 proof sets I have...no lines.
Interesting find.
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for posting your coin. Just a few slabbed examples. Probably yours are a fresher die example, but even the strongest on in red was slabbed for a $10 when cost several times that to get it in a slab. DCAM ones were higher value, but only in the highest grades. Dropped like a rock when the grade lowered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
5924 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for all your input it's been very interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we learn something here sometimes daily. So when I see something I don't understand, I look deeper into the subject. No use of getting egg on your face:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 770Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: