Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Seated Dollar I'm Considering For My Type Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 629Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't have the coin in hand, I saw this at the coin show and snapped these pictures so I can think about it more.

Your thoughts?

Thank you
Edited by shatsi
11/28/2021 6:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11160 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64174 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 sounds right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure that's a Seated dollar after reading "one dol." in the reverse.

I am guessing NGC said AU55 but the coin looks overdipped and I have it at AU details cleaned.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a big deal if you also need the seated $1 with motto in your type set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you also showed us a bust quarter in a TPG holder that looked cleaned. I also had trouble distinguishing a cleaned coin from one with original skin when I first got here 5 years ago. I got my predilection for cleaned coins beaten out of me by the members of this board. I learn the hard way.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's a Seated dollar after reading "one dol." in the reverse.

You're right, my mistake, its fixed now. Thank you for pointing it out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you also showed us a bust quarter in a TPG holder that looked cleaned. I also had trouble distinguishing a cleaned coin from one with original skin when I first got here 5 years ago. I got my predilection for cleaned coins beaten out of me by the members of this board. I learn the hard way.

I do have a hard time distinguishing cleaned coins with naked eye, most times I can tell from a picture if it's not doctored. What signs do you see that makes you think its dipped?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it straight graded XF-45
looks lower AU probably with A old dip but coin looked to nice to details.

The hardest part about figuring out what will detail looking at coins in hand is knowing what the TPG's will do. They can be so inconsistent by grader , day and coin.
That I think is what is the biggest issue learning to grade.
Buying raw online is a crap shoot anyways .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7652 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking AU50-55 as well.

Personally I like it. To me these coins are iconic enough that one with this eye appeal would be satisfactory for me.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Feels like ti may have had an old cleaning, but I've seen many such coins graded straight.

I'd guess AU50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
947 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a huge fan. Common date, cleaned, and a few distracting contact marks. I would wait for another example. I am also on the hunt for Seated dollars as well

AU-50 Details in my opinion, but it probably graded straight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What signs do you see that makes you think its dipped?

It's easier to see in the reverse as you see a whole mess of halos around the devices. That could also be remaining luster but it is white looking and not bright as you would expect luster to be. It is more subtle in the obverse but you also see the halos around all the stars, the date and the base of the rock that liberty is sitting on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3513 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also note the toning that only remains in the tight spots: shield on both obverse and reverse, and revenants left in the crevices of some of the reverse lettering.

AU50, Details, though they probably straight graded it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2246 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was darkly toned before the cleaning. The toning remnants in the shields are a distraction. I'd pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9751 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan. It might have graded AU50 but it's not a good example IMO. It does look like it's been "worked on" in some way.
ANA #R3154474
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: