Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Opinion On This 1812 Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 359Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What problems do you see and how would you grade it?

Thank you
Edited by shatsi
11/29/2021 10:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
973 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 details scratched. The scratch on the reverse is a distraction, but there is a chance a TPG may let it slide. It has very good eye appeal, and a rare coin to have uncorroded! This is a WOW coin for me!
Edited by jacrispies
11/29/2021 10:50 am
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add McFinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and important year for history. I'm very much a rookie for any attempt with grading, but my guess would be F15 or VF20 - FWIW
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10204 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20. The gouge above the N appears old and my get a pass but there are several marks that appear fresh and may not.
All in all a pleasing example that would be a very respectable addition to a 7070 album.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
5753 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with VF details, scratched, but it is possible it could grade VF-20 problem-free. Smooth surfaces, even dark-toned copper color, and absence of corrosion are positive attributes. This piece is far superior to most Classic cents that are offered for sale.
Nice one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have it ID'ed as an S-288, Rarity-2.

As for grade, IMO it's VF-20 or -25, straight grade (not Details).
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably going to cost you based on the nice planchet preservation. If paying that kind of money I would hold off for one without the scratches regardless of how it ends up grading out. Who cares what the third party grader says? The scratches will still be there.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3598 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF-25. The shallow gouge on the reverse may get a pass.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I paid $440 for it. I've been looking at eBay and graded coins with this details are priced much higher. Even with the scratch I like the overall look of it and the fact there's no corrosion. I'm not planning on getting it graded since it's going in my type set. So rather than paying a higher price for a graded coin off eBay I decided this is worth it and it's from a dealer I can trust. The dealer did have another coin without scratches but the obverse had less details than this cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like you made a reasoned choice. Congrats on your new addition to the set.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shatsi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have it ID'ed as an S-288, Rarity-2.

Thank you for that info.
Pillar of the Community
United States
973 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great price, and grading it will preserve it for a longer amount of time. Keep us updated to what the TPG says!
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The gouge is not at all fatal and even lends a little character. It's a wonderful coin, probably VF20.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10248 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These Classic head large cents don't grow on trees. I really like it regardless of any minor problems. Wonderful type coin for the not perfect type set. I wouldn't be surprised if it got VF25.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
11/29/2021 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1604 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is overall a nice old copper. The gash is visible but not offensive. Nice, hard surfaces, but I would like to see what the actual color is for a better assessment.
The grade would be VF20, net F15 EAC (in my opinion).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11209 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
decent planchet for this series. obv VF20 rev VF30. net VF25
the hit on the reverse most likely would details the coin as it displaces metal
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: