Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2022 Mint Gimmicks For Commemorative Dollars

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,035Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
6414 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  09:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I have a complete set of proof commemorative silver dollars I browsed the mint's website to see next years offerings. Now there is a colorized proof National Purple Hearts Hall of Honor along with the proof and there is a "privy" mark on a proof Negro Leagues Baseball dollar along with the regular proof. Not to mention a proof Negro league with a Jacky Robinson medal.

What on earth is a "privy" mark doing on this commemorative and what does it stand for? Colorizing can lead to the same gimmick on proof sets, ASE"s, and who knows what. Frustrated with the 2 commemorative coin limit that was put in place to prevent over burdening the collector, now this additional set of ploys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3112 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
muddler , I agree, We are being taken for Their ride into 2022. The colored version was introduced decades ago and is Horrible, HELP US ALL......We deserve Better.....The 2022 schedule is loaded with IMO, Poor judgement, along with Over-Loading their systems with Colorized Coins ?

The board that advises the mint's actions, Out of touch, IMO....... :(
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7020 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@muddler/morgans_dad: I certainly understand your perspective, I'm not a big fan of gimmicky coins either. In the Mint's defense, however, I've met a good number of collectors - young and old - who enjoy collecting coins that are outside of the traditional. This could mean colorized, gold-plated or a non-circular shape. IMO, the Mint is just trying to appeal to a broad audience to support its self-financing model.

If you look at modern non-circulating legal tender (NCLT) coinage, does it really make a difference whether the coin is "traditional" or has color enhancements? To me, if, on the day a piece is issued, it has an intrinsic value that far exceeds its face value AND a collector needs to pay a price beyond even its intrinsic value to acquire it, how can the piece truthfully be called a coin? A coin is meant to serve as a standard medium of exchange at its face value, most all NCLT pieces run counter to this. An American Silver Eagle, for example, has a face value of $1, an intrinsic value of over $20 and is sold by the Mint for more than $60. How is that a coin by the accepted definition? It's a numismatic collectible, plain or colored, but not a true coin.

I've "argued" for years that modern NCLT issues are really medals with a symbolic denomination placed on them to entice coin collectors to purchase them. For me, the Mint's 2020 Product Schedule simply continues along the same as previous paths.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...modern NCLT issues are really medals with a symbolic denomination placed on them to entice coin collectors to purchase them.
My minor point of disagreement is that they are still legal tender. They could be spent, no matter how foolish the idea would be. This makes them legitimate coins, all gimmicks aside.

That being said, I would not fault anyone for considering them more as medals than coins, such as those who only collect coins made for actual commerce (where NCLT is strictly avoided). My opinion of medals has become more positive in the years I have known you, so I do not find it insulting to group any these "coins" with them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7020 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My minor point of disagreement is that they are still legal tender.

Yes, the "legal tender" argument is always referenced. Such language is in the legislation to technically make them coins for sales/marketing purposes not to make them a working part of the commercial money system.

IMO, it's a toothless argument in the context of the real world. As you mention, it would be "foolish" to spend such "coins" at face value - the raison d'Ítre for a coin.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record, I really like the silver coin and medal sets. I view the two pieces as equals, so I could see how in time I might come to view those coins as medals with a symbolic denomination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3112 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fellow Coin Collectors, I see people are Hunting and Collecting what they choose, I too collect Medals and All Commemoratives I am interested in, not to mention traditional Coinage too. I saw my parents sent away for a 1986 COLORIZED Bullion ASE, They thought it was special and Worth a small Treasure, after they both passed, I was gifted those etal coins. While I would NEVER object to Anyone's collecting preferences, I appreciate and collect, what I choose..........You like and want the colored and other finishes, GO FOR IT........

I on the other hand am educated about coinage and gimmicks of the same. I see the colorization just that, A GIMMICK.

Why would the Mint do so, To sell ANYTHING their advisory board recommends...PS, I would NEVER call a medal a coin, or visa versa.........
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look out Canada.

Here we come!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a problem with this but I won't be a buyer
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look out Canada. Here we come!

I had often said that we needed to me more like Canada... but I meant getting rid of the cents... and circulating one and two dollar coins instead of notes... not those other things!
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I solved the issue of commemoratives a long time ago, I never collected them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3112 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Erscolo, The chance to see and hold a snapshot of time in SILVER........ I was captured by COMMEMORATIVES long ago. To each His/Her Own....

PS, I enjoy holding the artistically Historic Silver designs of Days gone bye Too......
Pillar of the Community
United States
3112 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I believe that serious Collectors coinage is being commercialized. The oddity factors , along with the slab company's just waiting to release Yet Another label, to those willing to go that route.

For quite some time the Mint's schedule is trying to reach out, LIKE NOT BEFORE, in my opinion, to Younger,very impressionable kids. That's all good for the Mint,and the coin collecting community. The new blood introduced into Coin Collecting is a Welcomed chance to educate and promote, The Coins of Days Gone Bye.........Maybe not for All others involved. Meaning maybe the Mint should take that long OVERDUE systems update to their ordering platform and concentrate on Quality Control. THIS years coinage IMO, is Historic for many reasons, the 100th Anniversary of the First Newly designed Peace dollar 1921, Thank You, Anthony de Francisco, and lest We forget George T. MORGAN, Who designed the Morgan silver dollar 1921 - marking the LAST year, (till now), of the last minted silver dollar too. The American Silver/Gold Eagles Design was Re-Designed after 35 years,1986-2021 Designed by Adolph A.Weinman, Thank You ALL.!!!! Collect With A Passion, What You Choose.....
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I solved the issue of commemoratives a long time ago, I never collected them.
That is a guaranteed way to handle it.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These go on sale tomorrow and there does not seem to be any excitement around them. I have not decided on to get or not to get. I know if I do decide to order I will not try if the order does not go through on the first try.
Learn More...
United States
108242 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am most definitely buying the silver dollar and medal set tomorrow.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,035Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: