Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hello I Have A Coin That I Found. Wanted To Use Your Knowledge To Tell Me More (1987 Quarter)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 300Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  8:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 7Csnewtocoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1987 Quarter that is from the Philadelphia mint. There are two fives stamped one above the other on the head of Washington. Can anyone tell me if this is an error from the mint. I looked at a dollar bill and the 5 matches the fives in serial number. But how did the quarter get stamped?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Learn More...
United States
22010 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@7cs, first welcome to CCF. Second, someone has stamped that number five on this quarter after it left the mint. I suspect that there may be a matching area of flattening in the rev. It is a fun find, but only worth face value.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2533 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a mint error. It's called counter stamped I believe. Someone "stamped" the 5s on the coin after leaving the mint. Some are collectible but for most it's PMD(post min damage).
Pillar of the Community
United States
8196 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's called a "counterstamp". Someone took it upon themselves to hammer the number five into your quarter. Yes, some people collect them, but these are not associated with the mint, they simply are post mint damage. There is a long running thread here on CCF with members showing their finds, you can find the postings by using the search box in the upper left hand of every page here. Sorry, no real value above face.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5376 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree with this being a counterstamp quarter. Usually it is done to Lincoln Cents, but other coins get the treatment from time to time as well. Lets see if Jbuck chimes in. If he does have a look at his avatar pic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6761 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, counterstrike.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7660 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing in the minting process would do this.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7Csnewtocoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help everyone and for welcoming me to the community. I just started a small collection of coins a couple months ago. I think I'll add this one to it. Just as a reminder.
Learn More...
United States
108395 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: