Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

None Of You Will Get This One: 1941 Walking Liberty Half

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,634Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
6218 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
210$ is not bad and you can get that much of a conservation education out of it.

I think you have a better than 50/50 shot at restoring the coin to some semblance to it's past glory. Playing with some of the spots on the reverse to get an idea if they'll come off is where I'd first start. The dark "turd" on the obverse would be the last thing I'd try to mitigate. I'd go with JewelLuster and a few prayers. Read and follow directions. You just never know with this stuff. You could also pay the "conservation experts" at one of the grading companies to do it for you.

Please keep us updated with what happens with the removal and conservation (if you travel that path).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. Thanks for sharing.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Katrina/Harvey theory seems to make sense, but looking at the holder it looks pretty clean. If toxic sludge from flooding did this to the coin, should we expect the holder to look as clean as it does today? Also, isn't the label insert made of paper? If so, the flood damage should have affected the paper, but I see no evidence of water damage anywhere on the fragile paper label.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
8527 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I should pay more attention as OP revealed that this was in a fire. Even so, it seems odd that the plastic is undamaged and intact but the coin looks like it was rolled on by the ugly stick. No melted bits, trace of soot from smoke, no residue inside the holder other than what is on the coin's surface.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
12/04/2021 01:57 am
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numismatic: Damage from a fire event isn't always from the fire itself, but from the chemical-laden water that is used to put it out. That's what's happened here -- the holder must have been submersed in the stuff. There's gunk in the seams.

I wasn't there so I can only guess. There's no evidence of liquid in the holder now, but it would not have taken much.
Edited by pristine2
12/04/2021 08:18 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11220 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think the comment about it pulling a PR69 was meant to be a joke.

thanks Zurie, I thought that was the posted grade

i would call this PFU (ugly proof). can it be preserved? I guess pristine has to decide that but I'm betting if its left like this the future is not bright for it
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 1,634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: