Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1861-O 50c Liberty Seated Half Dollar - Wiley Bugert 104 - Speared Olive Bud Var - Confederate Issue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 525Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8792 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  12:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$450. This coin is listed in Randy Wiley and Bill Bugert's Complete Guide to Liberty Seated half dollars as WB-104. It is the Speared Olive Bud Variety which they were able to attribute to the Confederate States of America occupation of the New Orleans Mint in 1861 through their ejection sequence analysis. Only 31 coins of this variety have been certifies by PCGS. Thoughts? Thanks!

There are two horizontal die marks to the left of the top olive in the reverse "Spearing the olive."

From the Wiley and Bugert Reference:

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
12/02/2021 2:54 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11919 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe AU53 but if whatever is going on at the wing tip is not planchet related its most likely a details coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67753 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be my concern as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4024 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50. I don't see the wing tip as a major issue, personally, I think it can be conserved with a little acetone and/or xylene. In hand pics may tell more.

Edit: coming back to this one in my computer, that wing tip does look a bit problematic.
Edited by Ty2020b
12/02/2021 8:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2716 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. I'm aware of this variety, and the attribution analysis. I've never seen one in real life. I think it's a pretty scarce critter. Regardless of grade, nice pickup.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: