Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian 1919 Quarter Good Enough To Have Graded?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 1919 has a beautiful luster /shine

Pillar of the Community
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin, Il say MS62.
RCNA Member

There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Learn More...
United States
22007 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@west, best practice is to start a new thread for each new coin so I've split this 1919 Quarter off of your other thread.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
7660 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!

Graded?
It depends. If you like your coins graded and labeled, the of course slab it if you want.

But if you are wanting to slab it to sell for profit, then do your homework. Find current market values (eBay SOLD auctions a a good way to see what people are paying). Sum up all costs (including membership if applicable) to the company for their slabbing service. Then subtract the market value from the slabbing costs to see if you come out ahead.

A general rule put on this forum many times is if the coin is not worth 150.00, you won't come out ahead.

You might also want to, depending on the above, see if just selling it raw will bring you more money instead of having to take out slabbing costs from a raw sale.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1223 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62; good looking coin, could get upwards of $200 at that grade.

If you are going to sell it, I would certify it.
Buyers like certainty.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2532 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your going to sell I agree on having them graded. When coin shows start up again to could try that first though. You could probably get what the coins are worth,(or close) without spending all that money in grading. The cleaned coins will definitely take a huge hit on value though. This one does not seem cleaned to me and MS60-62for me. I see a bit of rim damage and many small scratches and some contact marks. The lighting makes it a bit hard to grade. It might be worth it to get a better photography set up for sales. Or if you go to a coin show and auction you may get a good amount for many of the coins you posted. Seems like you aquired quite the collection. Of you plan on keeping all the coins I would say just focus on proper storage rather then slabs as it is a very nice collection, and it seems like you may have many more to show us. I'm enjoying your posts very much:)

Edit I posted a "texting" winky face instead of a smiley face. That could mean sarcasm or a joke in this situation but I meant it to be genuine.
Edited by Wrekkdd
12/03/2021 7:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
251 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for for the opinions . I'm likely selling most of it with both kids in College / Uni that was the intent anyway , May keep a few. I have never been to a coin show . Covid shut them down I guess?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2532 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin conventions were closed during covid. They have been starting up again. There are many auction houses that would sell your coins for a fair price. But if your not in a huge rush I'd focus on a rough grading for most of them and try selling them un slabbed first. If your not in a big rush that's the best way to go I think. Know what you have and what it's worth(expect to get a little less) if you want faster for sure sales then grading would definitely be you best way to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4132 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A dealer will give you about 50-60% of what you could sell it for elsewhere. I don't think the coin is much over MS-60 depending on how deep some of the scratches are. If you can't actually SELL a coin for at least $150, or about $200 for common ones, I wouldn't pay to have it certified, unless by ICCS, where fees can be much less than US ones. I wouldn't cert it
Edited by okiecoiner
12/04/2021 07:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1915 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
polished
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2372 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be polished as it looks a little bright.

I think it's an au58 at ICCS.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: