Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 D Morgan "Errors "?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 541Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  12:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robzcoinzar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok so I know there's been a bit of discussion about this in the forum. I recently purchased (2) 2021 Peace/Morgan 6 piece set graded MS70 by PCGS.
One of the 2021D Morgan's has this metal like beaded thread running from the edge through the E all the way to the arrow.
The other is pristine.
At first it did indeed look like a gauge of some sort, maybe even a scratch on the holder.
Clearly it is not.
How does something like this get by the graders when it's so obvious. even to the naked eye?
And although I haven't seen anything posted anywhere quite as dramatic as this it sure seems like a major error coin.
I'm loving it. and I think it'll definitely appreciate in value.
I
Pillar of the Community
United States
8181 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Errors on these are many times do not appreciate values as the coin has already been graded and owners hold them as pristine examples when they are sold or traded, and anything less than that subtracts.value. They can always be regraded but then you lose the Advance Release label
ça va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42778 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. We will need close ups of that area.It may be a genuine struck through which might increase the value to variety collector.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
108260 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
die crack? image is very small
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm learning about how error coins are, if the coins have a mark on them how they can be ms 70? thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5357 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could it be a silver thread that was shaved off from the rim with a tiny bit of the reeds still attached to it. We have seen that before on some of the Morgans that fell off when the owner of that coin touched it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the simple fact that the coin is a" MS-70 ", Says it all....... As Noted Earlier.

No coin receives a Perfect grade and has a (error)- gouge, break, incuse or Raised die breaks, will not grade a MS-70.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5357 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No coin receives a Perfect grade and has a (error)- gouge, break, incuse or Raised die breaks, will not grade a MS-70.

Well, if the thing we see on the coin in the above pictured image is just a sliver still attached at the rim and NOT impacting the surface of the devices or fields, maybe it could get a 70 grade.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2021  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robzcoinzar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a closer look.
The pattern somewhat resembles the dentils of the reverse.
Almost as if it occurred on ejection or flipover.
Keep your comments coming.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robzcoinzar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm inclined to agree with you Dearborn but if the sliver was shaved it would have sharper edges and this appears to be more "luiquidy" almost molten when it adhered.
Also, I meant to say that the pattern on this resembles the details on the obverse not the reverse in my last post.
What I just don't understand is how this coin made it into the holder?
First the US Mint then PCGS?
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Graders make mistakes, Especially with bullion, I think they very briefly glance and go on to the next like an assembly line, hurry up get more done. The grader may have forgot to look at the reverse, was distrated, whatever. I have no idea but each grader likely processes several hundred coins a day. My daughter works for an insurance company,sometimes takes 100 claims calls a day, transfers the calls to the correct department, so coin graders I assume look at a lot of coins every shift.

As another example of poor grading, here is a $5 gold eagle I got MS69, just look at the obverse damage, no way it should be MS69. I sent this one back to seller for refund a while back.

Edited by livingwater
12/09/2021 1:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10201 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a rather long piece of rim fining that likely disconnected during the encapsulation/ sonic welding process.
1883-O Nut
Edited by dave700x
12/09/2021 1:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1125 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is it will be worth a good premium in the future .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3113 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be an oddity....... IMO, I do NOT believe this represents an ERROR coin. Maybe the Mint's People could of checked the coin, You know, QUALITY Control ...... Someone should of SEEN the appearing, Attached Material, Best wishes Too..... PS, How did the coin, in it's condition Also survive the 3 PERSON examination of this coin,After the Mint's people missed it apparently too ? Best wishes.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 541Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: