Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Collecting Goals For 2022?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 127 / Views: 6,986Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Spend about half as much money on coins (As I say this a dealer offers to put an EF 1849 GB Florin in EF on layaway for me)

2. Quality vs quantity.

3. Shillings, shillings and mo shillings!!! At least one from every reign going back to Henry VIII, just missing him, Edward VI, Mary, James I, Charles 1 and 2 and Commonwealth

4. Selective upgrading of Florins and Halfcrowns for British.

5. Complete my date set of Australian Florins

6. Save some money

7. Get another cat or 2 (I am thinking 2 so they can keep each other company when I am working or playing with my coins) - maybe one moggy and one Maine Coon?

8. Travel somewhere out of Auckland and preferably out of New Zealand.

9. Get a better job.

UPDATE - Sep 25

1. No, but I am buying more cheaper and interesting pieces than $500 halfcrowns like last year.

2. heck no - lots of VF to VG rather than UNC, but more range

3. More later ones, but none of those reigns yet, but I have started sixpences, groats and threepences with a real bang adding 2 Elizabethan (The first one, not the recently deceased) sixpences to my line up.

4. Kind of, some better 1920s and 1930s/40s coins, but no real progress with earlies, I added a truly awful 1846 halfcrown, but a very nice 1898. A new dealer made some of these upgrades possible.

5. Almost, I have managed to get more earlies and now only need 1914H and 1939. Some of the earlies are pretty decent too.

6. Thanks to improved living circumstances and wages, this has been partly successful, yet much plowed back into coin purchasing along with a stamp collecting revival too.

7. Not yet, still looking.

8. Not really because of my partners failing health. Two trips about 100km as his daughter lives outside of Auckland. But I consider this low priority now.

9. No, mainly as why my partner is sick, the limited hours mean I can spend more time with him at home in weekends and visiting his rest home in the week.

Overall 2022 has been decent, not many goals ticked, but progress is admirable.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5461 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not getting any of the missing ones so time for a quarterly updae

Quote:
1) Get a slabbed 1909 S-VDB to complete the 2 full sets of small cents
3) Get the missing 2 coins from the 20th century type set (may do this first as its the lowest cost of the 5 "real" goals)
8) Get the 2022 Innovation Dollars

Above are complete

Quote:
2) Get the missing 3 4 coins from the 7070

While I could have gotten these, I just don't see them being worth the prices asking. For now this is on hold.

Quote:
4) Get the missing IHC/FE

I worked on this for a while. I was able to get 4. But even here the prices have jumped up. Only missing 9 from completing the set.

5) Get a few large notes (Educational, Bison, Native American, Battleship) and the Abe Fractional)

For my birthday my wife got me a red back autographed fractional.

Quote:
6) Pick up any Proof Morgans and Peace produced in 2022

None were released in 2022, so pushed out to 2023.

Quote:
7) Upgrade any LWC that I can.

Upgraded the 1917D and 1921S

Quote:
9) Get any Portuguese coins and currency that I don't have.

Since I was going to Portugal I expected to add a few and I did. I ended up completing the Escudo Fractional set.

Picked up a few nice coins

And a few nicer notes

What are the final quarter plans?
There is a US fractional I want. Along with a few notes from Portugal. If any IHC pop up in a good price I will get those also. Otherwise not actively looking for anything else.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/25/2022 3:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2538 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fall Update

1) ATB silver proof set.
Quote:
Still on hold. Bought some halves for the stack instead. Sold ALL my ASEs.

After a hiatus of several month, decided to switch albums, from Whitman to Dansco. Love the Dansco albums. Feel they are of superior look and quality. Bought a proof silver 2013 set online and plan to buy one or more sets at the NH Coin & Currency expo this October.

2) Kingdom of The Netherlands Type Set.
Quote:
Bought some coins via MA-Shops. Will visit coins shops in The Netherlands this summer. Expanding the set with currency. Plan to collect the four major design series: Classic ("Erflaters I'), Modern ("Erflaters II"), Post-Modern, and Abstract.

Was able to buy some nice coins when in The Netherlands (mostly commemoratives), but otherwise it is very slow going. Not much quality supply.

3) Set of Silver Ducats from The Dutch Republic.
Quote:
Have not seen any silver ducats in acceptable condition anywhere from the provinces I still need for my collection (Friesland, Gelderland, Groningen, Holland, Overijssel, West-Friesland).

Very slow going. Not much on offer. And if for sale, prices are in cuckooland.

4) World commemorative coins of composers.
This project goes very well. Finishing up with coins featuring composers from Ukraine. Now working on those from Italy and Austria.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlyingTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since this year is almost over, within about a year I would like to have purchased the the following Morgan silver dollars.
1892-CC
1896-S
1897-O
1899-S
1901-S
1902-S
1903-S
1904-S
Not just fillers but nice coins that I would actually enjoy owning.
The hunt continues!
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As seemingly always, looking good!

Since I also expect no coins this week, I will now post my Q3 update...

Quote:
1. Fill the last six five core Dansco album holes
7000 (3) - 1877 & 1909-S IHC, 1916-D Mercury dime.
7070 (1) - Seated Liberty dollar with Motto.
8100 (2) - 1909-S VBD and 1922 "Plain" (which may be a blank or a cheaper "Weak D").
The 1909-S IHC was acquired from our very own jerryc39!

Slab cracking and album insertion still pending.

Quote:
2. Finish the extended part of the PCGS Ike set
The four Presidential dollars (2015 P/D/S-PR/P-RP)
1972 Varieties 2 and 3 (which I neglected to list last year)
Both remaining 1972 Varieties have been acquired!

That 2015-P is still gonna be tough.

Quote:
3. Buy whatever appeals to me from 2022 US Mint offerings
Acquired:
2022 Clad Proof Set
2022 Silver Proof Set
2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Coin & Medal Set
2022 American Innovation $1 Coin Proof Set
2022 Uncirculated Coin Set
2022 American Liberty Silver Medal

Coming up:
American Innovation $1 Coin Reverse Proof Set (11/14/22)
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2022  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Slab cracking and album insertion still pending.
Regarding that 1909-S IHC...

http://goccf.com/t/431501
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been a busy and expensive coin year. Here is my update:

1. Keep working on early CBH date set focusing on interesting Overtons (clashes, die breaks, etc) Yes, this is ongoing. Here are a few:
1822 PCGS-XF-40, very interesting colors, image is a bit dark

1828 PCGS AU-55, again a colorful CBH

2. 1857 Half Cent
3. Draped bust half
4. $10 Indian
5. quality over quantity (stolen from earlier poster) Yes, purchased a Saint and $20 Liberty, AU-55 Bust dime & half dime too.
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2538 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2022  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1828 Capped Bust Half is gorgeous.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update:
1. 1914-D Cent
2. 1927-S Nickel
3. 1927-S Quarter
4. 1932-D Quarter
5. 1932-S Quarter
6. 1918-D Walking Half
7. 1919-D Walking Half
8. 1920-D Walking Half
9. Seated dollar (not 1859, 1860, 1871, 1872)
10. $2.50 Gold (any type)

Purchased my Seated dollar and now I am complete for this year!! I am now going to save up for a trip to Pittsburg for the ANA show.
Learn More...
United States
118210 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Purchased my Seated dollar and now I am complete for this year!! I
Outstanding!
Quote:
am now going to save up for a trip to Pittsburg for the ANA show.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2538 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am now going to save up for a trip to Pittsburg for the ANA show.

Why the wait? There is an international coin show in NYC in January and the Baltimore Spring show in March.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why the wait?

I want to join a club meeting with the JRCS and the BHNC (if possible) to meet the men who write the books. Talking with the big names will be the start to putting my name out there, creating coin related opportunities and long-term friendships.

I am also a freshman in college so saving up for a trip like that will take a while.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2538 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to join a club meeting with the JRCS and the BHNC (if possible) to meet the men who write the books. Talking with the big names will be the start to putting my name out there, creating coin related opportunities and long-term friendships.

Sounds like a plan.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1025 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's time to make some updates. I added 2 coins for my sets.

Quote:
2)Silver American Eagle (1986-Date)

2)I was able to buy a 2012-W silver eagle and have already added it to my 7070 PCGS set.

Quote:
3)Wait for a package with an unknown coin for my set from a friend from Dallas.

3)A friend from Dallas sent me this wonderful innovation dollar with an excellent PR70DCAM rating, it was included in my set "Basic U.S. Coin Design Set No Gold (1792-present)"

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 127 / Views: 6,986Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: