Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eye Appeal Vs TPG Vs Rarity

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,209Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
632 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In TPG, I have never seen frankly bad coins. People try to send their best copies there. That's why I like to look for PCGS-rated coins in my collection so much.
I heard somewhere that there are collectors who will never put MS coins in their collection. For them, it is important that the moment at least visited the appeals a little, so that she absorbed the spirit of that time and those people who held her. I agree with them in part.
For some, a coin with a patina is not suitable for a collection, for others it is one of the key factors for searching. We are all different and we all have different tastes.
Valued Member
Canada
152 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slerk, I totally concur. For me, each coin has potentially it's own story and that's what I find fascinating. Often a coin with visible wear is more appealing, to me, than a near perfect MS.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2512 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much more could be gained on that 1837 wallyb, but not from me. Granted, it has gotten harder to find bargains on the coins I'm looking for. Over the last two years I've seen more people looking for the same coins. So I've broadened my interests and have found other affordable categories to collect. I'm not trying to fill the last hole in a coin book.

In some categories I have wiped out the available supply. Once a bargain 1871-S half eagle or 1875-CC quarter is purchased, it is not immediately replaced from inventory. The next one that comes to market is inevitably higher priced....and out of my price range....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
01/15/2022 08:13 am
Valued Member
Canada
152 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thq, it seems to me that forums like Ebay have forever changed the hobby, bringing in many more novice collectors who may be unwittingly driving prices upward. I also think that the pandemic may be contributing to some degree and scarcity of some coins may occur more than in past. But, I could be mistaken. I watch coins of interest on Ebay and am frequently shocked at the prices being paid.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An influx of new collectors propping up the value of what we already own can't be all bad, can it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that for collectors, which the majority of us on this website, eye appeal is something important to us. When we are looking to fill a hole in our collection, we want something that looks nice and we are proud to own. It's more than just a math game for how much of a margin we think we can score when we flip it sooner than later. We are a skewed sample size.

Also, those of us on the website are just browsing around. Few of us those that post on a thread are actively collecting the series at topic a lot of the time. And for the few who are, not many are chasing the listed coin too. So weather its an XF or an MS65 may be secondary to "oh, that's pretty!" because most of us don't actually have skin in the game. Stuff that gets comments is usually either pretty or ugly, and the mundane doesn't motivate entering replies as people move on to look for other things more interesting. Eye appeal is interesting and gets people talking! (In my 6 years on this board, I can only think of a couple times that I saw a topic, went on the hunt for that listing, and became a bidder on it.)

TPG's have commoditized coins and their populations reports have shown us what is actually rare or at what point something might become rare. It has certainly allowed for dealers to buy and trade coins based on a label with no regard to eye appeal, and in many instances, coins are traded sight unseen because of the label.

Rarity is a funky word and should assume supply and demand. Is a coin rare is there are 5 in the world but only 1 person cares to chase it down? Is a coin rare if there are 10,000 of them but 100,000 people hop on a website for the second of go-live in hopes of being among the lucky 10%? In the US markets, there are very few truly rare coins with surviving specimens counting as handful or dozen. - Its demand and competition on US coins that makes things like the 1893-S "rare" even though there are over 80 on eBay right now, and Heritage, Stacks, and Great Collections probably have a few more right now, and there are a few thousand sitting in collections. It's not a rare coin. My 382 AD Western Satraps coin has about 5 known specimens and I was lucky to pry it from the gentleman who wrote the book on the series... and I paid a lot less than a G4 1893-S for it.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
01/15/2022 1:46 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the old stuff.
I buy coins with the preservation level that could only be maintained by having passed from one collection to another, often for over 150 years.
There simply aren't that many coins out there to choose from that I like. Fortunately I am not dealing with popular series with high demand.
I am always looking around to see what is available. Auctions, dealers handling them, and, yes Ebay. I can't but all the time, and some of those I like a lot get by me.
Before buying, I check retail and wholesale prices and everything like the coin I can find before making a purchase decision.
I have seen a lot of auction prices go over retail, even more so than a lot of Ebay prices. On, Ebay and elsewhere, a lot of my decisions hinge on how much I want the coin. I don't mind going $20 -$40 over retail, depending how much it is worth, because I don't have to pay listing fees, package it and take it to the post office. I look at it as cost recovery.
As for those looking for a lot more than retail, I just sort of snort and move on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2512 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eBay definitely increased the availability of coins. 20 years ago a lot of time was spent going to shops and shows, finding coins by random luck. eBay sped that up. There are still bargains but not as often.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it is eye appeal first. I really don't care about grade or price but only if I like the coin.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
152 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely eye appeal first Just Carl, but after that, for most of us, comes budget. If budget were never an issue I'd be travelling the world to examine potential buys in person.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, you've got to find one you like in a grade you can afford. Some well worn issues develop attractive circulation cameos. Many of the issues in the series I currently am focused on ( LS Dimes before 1861) are very expensive in higher grades, but I have seen many attractive VF 20 specimens of the hard dates that I would love to have in my collection.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,209Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: