Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1896 $1 & $2 Silver Cert - My Head First Dive Into The Deep End.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,070Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67754 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, most of the details will show even if the note is in a holder. The trick is understanding whether the images suggest an original or a pressed/altered note. It's not always easy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The trick is understanding whether the images suggest an original or a pressed/altered note. It's not always easy.

This is why I will most likely steer away from raw notes unless it is a real trustworthy dealer relationship. The bay seems very dangerous for unsuspecting souls.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to share my final outcome on these two bills when they arrived over the past week. I sent them back.

I remember when I started seriously collecting coins. Like most novices, I jumped quickly at items and wasted money buying problem coins, unattractive coins and low range certified "just to have the example"; not fully knowing that the $100 I spent on the lower grade was a third of the MS62 (as is most cases with common date issues).

I felt the same here. Its no secret what these bills are selling for. Why buy a $2100 VF25 when I'm halfway and six months of patience away from my choice of several EF40s on the market that will be there for sale come summer.

Anyhoo, thought I would share.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3652 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be to hard on yourself. Most new collectors, including myself make similar mistakes. I consider this tuition.
Learn More...
United States
112325 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't be to hard on yourself. Most new collectors, including myself make similar mistakes. I consider this tuition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always make this suggestion and I'm sure a few veteran currency collectors roll their eyes: take a look at souvenir cards. The Bureau of Engraving & Printing has issued reprints of a great many of the most popular currency designs printed *from the original plates*. These are very affordable and will give you a great appreciation of the banknote engraver's art.

You can scroll through more than 300 of these cards (or as the BEP now calls them "intaglio prints") right here:
http://www.souvenircards.org/galler...b-index.html
You'll find fronts and backs of the entire Educational series, including the unissued $10.

Learn More...
United States
112325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4332 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow that is incredible artwork
thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
United States
4876 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful $1 Educational Note you've got there, dsfreeworld!

I made the mistake of buying one of those when I first got into large notes rather than waiting awhile until I knew more and had more money to spend on a better example:

One of these days I suppose I should go ahead and upgrade to a better example, but I've been holding onto this one mostly for sentimental reasons since it was my first large note.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,070Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: