Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1931-S LWC From Circulation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 475Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coinfrog asked me to show some of the key date LWC I pulled from circulation back when I was a teenager in the mid-1970's. I was working at a fast-food restaurant and we probably had a customer who was spending someone's coin collection. Here is the 1931-S I found, probably about 1975. It's been in a Whitman album ever since I found it. I would like to get rid of the corrosion somehow if possible. It's still got quite a bit of mint luster. My photographs are hand held and not the best. Feel free to advise a grade.
Edited by EDM
01/15/2022 6:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeez Louise, never found that coin in any grade in 15 years of searching bags. Well done!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8072 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent. Never found one in the wild, or in a bag, or an 'unsearched' roll. Had to purchase or trade for mine.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17211 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That green on top of obverse does not look that bad . Was it there when you first found the coin ? I would just try Verdi-Care but don't expect to remove all of it . A few specks on face . AU-58-AU-63 an exceptional find from 1975 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67803 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That should be conserved for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4932 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wondered...they minted 866,000 of these things. Surely all 866,000 can't be in the hands of collectors. Makes you wonder how many are in circ.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17880 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, amazing find, looks to be at least AU, I lean toward MS-62/63 if can be conserved. Verdi-Care should be able to remove most of that corrosion, it's pretty light still. I've removed many thin layers of verdigris like you have on the obverse, usually in minutes.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
01/16/2022 02:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2238 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There doesn't seem to be any Verdi-Care available on-line. I saw a mention however that its produced by one of our CCF members? What product can be used instead?
Edited by EDM
01/17/2022 08:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17880 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any Verdi-Care available on-line. I saw a mention however that its produced by one of our CCF members? What product can be used instead?

It will be soon! We've had the chemicals needed to make the product on order for 8 weeks now - everyone is waiting. You can sign-up at Wizard Coin Supply for notification when it comes in. They will be the first to have product once we start shipping.

There is no alternative to VC on the market. It's a very unique product! Just wait a bit, we'll be back!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou! Done the Wizard notification.
Learn More...
United States
112350 Posts
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloIronTail to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really struck well for a 31-S.

Pete
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: