Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 DDO Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 476Next Topic  

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  01:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Julesie4558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I got this from my LCS, I think it has been cleaned, however I still wanted to post as the doubling on it is insane!

Pillar of the Community
United States
641 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that is insane! Sure dont need any visual aid to see that! Nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4424 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  02:09 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one doesn't look good to me. Obverse is soft and seems to not match the reverse in wear, but biggest problem may be with the ER of AMERICA on the reverse. Looks like a problem with the E and a die chip on the R. I do not know of those as markers on this die. Plus the left and right lower edges of the memorial seem to be sliding away.

It may just be the lighting or similar, but I see flags and this one may need even sharper images and a much larger image of the reverse as it is too small to really see things.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2918 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first look at it too, I didnt like it.

the reverse was too clean except for the steps and E in AMERICA?
and the obverse looked a little to pitted for me and the details were soft.
just seems like it was casted.

yes, better pictures to get me to bite on this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44700 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something doesn't seem right about it. Weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3774 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking fake for the same reasons as TB. Reverse isn't right whatsoever.
Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Julesie4558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does casted mean fake?

I weighed it and it comes in at 3.0
After checking the edges I did notice that it gets substantially slimmer at one spot which I've tried to capture in the photos...

Pillar of the Community
United States
3774 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's casted it's 100% fake.

The US Mint doesn't cast coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you pay for this, if we may ask? To me it screams fake as well. Will your LCS allow you to return it? Sometimes if it's too good to be true, it usually is.
ša va bien aller

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Julesie4558 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I actually didn't pay anything. I had a few doubles of some tokens (that the shop owner collects) so I just traded those and got to pick a few out of the bin and this just happened to be one of them and I got a few silver dimes....

So if the weight is on point, how do I know if it's been casted or if it's legit?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8370 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A cast coin has a mottled, broken surface quality to it. Yours has this look. If your LCS had this in its junk bin, most likely the dealer knew it wasn't real, otherwise they would have held onto it. Take it to a different coin shop for another "in person" opinion.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2312 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your deformation will not give you 0.10gr difference. When is cast the surface look like sandy due to the material use in casting. Nice fake, An SEM-EDX analysis will give you the provenience of the coin.
Edited by silviosi
01/16/2022 4:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57470 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/16/2022 6:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8069 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun conversation. The item just doesn't look/feel right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5606 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look good to me either. In my opinion I think this is a counterfeit.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7735 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say there are enough obvious surface markers to say this is not an authentic coin.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 476Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: